Primer shortages.

swinranger

I was just wondering about the consequences of the current lack of primer availability, and how it may affect you regarding firearm usage when / if plod comes a'knocking?

What I mean by this is that some time ago (a few years) it was 'suggested' by a new FO that as I wasn't using one particular rifle very much, in this case a great .22lr CZ, therefore did I in fact really need it?? Now, as we all know, our local constabularies do like to see a firearm being used, as opposed to just owned - but sitting in the cupboard (and quite rightly too in my opinion) but what if you can't actually use them anyway because you can't get hold of any bloody primers??? Does this potentially have any detrimental effect on actually having an FAC?

Lastly, and I don't wish to sound daft here, but what is the 'real' reason for the shortage of primers? Ok, obviously  I know there is a war going on in Ukraine, but is that really the cause of the shortage of primers - or are all global supplies going to Ukraine? (supposing Russia supplies its own?) It seems hardly likely does it. As awful a situation as it is, it isn't a global conflict is it, so where are they all?

Have you ever been asked to show receipts for reloading supplies to prove you have reloaded and shot ammunition?

Not sure how they would ever know how much or little you have shot unless you told them?

Or buy some factory ammo and shoot it.

1 hour ago, Roy W said:

Have you ever been asked to show receipts for reloading supplies to prove you have reloaded and shot ammunition?

Not sure how they would ever know how much or little you have shot unless you told them?

Agree with the above.  And if you're a target shooter I'd add make sure you log the firearm on any range log and your good I believe

11 hours ago, Roy W said:

Keep the spent primers and let them count them if they wanna know

At a recent renewal, we noticed that the online application (Beta version?) didn't mention "proof of use", but when the FEO dropped in, he asked for it.

This was a copy of the NRA Bisley log. We haven't bought factory centrefire ammo for at least 12 years now... the office knows that we reload.

Pete

In answer to the above questions from Roy W et al. I have never been asked to show receipts for reloading supplies in over 30 yrs of shooting (who keeps them anyway?) but at my last renewal, about 3 yrs ago, the new local FO asked about my firearm usage. I was able to show my 'Bisley log' of attendances online. He was very satisfied at the amount of times I'd been there - as well as the various cups and medals I have to show for it. But it was then that he noticed I hadn't used my .22lr rifle very much and he 'asked' if I really needed it?? 

So, roll it forward to now, and how long before the primer shortage 'may' affect available stocks of factory ammo - after all, it's happened in the US before! I can show an FO the many hundreds of bullets, few kilos of powder and more brass than I can shake a stick at that I have, but I'm just down to the last 150-ish primers to make it all go pop, which in effect prevents me from going to Bisley as often as I would like, especially as the Imperial is looming....... 

Yes, I could buy some overpriced factory ammo, but to what ends if it's nowhere near the same standard as my own? Plus I have no great desire to add barrel wear with a load of old *#~" just to get a bit of 'trigger time' (barrels are a bit pricey too).

But anyway, back to my original question. Why is there such a shortage of primers at the moment? That's all I was trying to ascertain........Answers rather than alternatives please.

There was more than one original question, hence the answers you received.

As for Primers:

Democrats win election, the US shooters start stockpiling ammo and reloading components.

Ammo sales go through the roof, manufactures need primers for their ammo -  primer availability affected

US buy even more ammo and reloading components, so they have less to sell to the UK and other markets.

Think COVID and toilet rolls.

Russia invades Ukraine - the Western World see a massive opportunity to sell ammunition. All available ammunition in military calibres gets bought up and shipped to Ukraine

Western armies need to restock and still supply more to Ukraine

Ammunition manufacturers work overtime to service Govt orders

Very small UK reloading market is last on the manufacturers list of people to be supplied.

• 2 weeks later...

There was plenty of cheap magtech primers for what was the usual price from years back. Bill Evans only had large magnum primers but plenty of powder . RS 50 also in good supply at some stalls . A bit of a quiet one , missing some of the big names .

Still can’t find any night vision good enough to match the drone pro !!! 
Suns out happy days 

4 hours ago, Richiew said:

There was plenty of cheap magtech primers for what was the usual price from years back. 

Where were they? 
I did find one stall advertising Magtech primers at £70 a 1000, but he had no rifle primers left, granted it was 10am on the first day. 

EBD35564-8094-4C2D-B5F3-0D7D6B144923.jpeg

Didn’t check his actual stock  . We were there today and shooting supplies had lots of gear but didn’t check prices as scared of reality . 
Got 500 Berger 155.5 308 and 500 hornady 73 grain 223 for just over £500 from Bill Evans /dpt moderator s. Top man . Plenty of viht powders in stock too .