Tinnitus after shooting despite ear pro

JCalleja91

I have read that due to the hard connection between the head and the rifle stock there can be bone transmission into the inner ear.  I'm not qualified to say if this is the case but it is widely reported.   In my old job we were not allowed to wear earplugs in engine test beds as the noise was so intense - special large ear defenders were issued.

The worst hearing loss I've ever suffered was following a Hawkwind concert - and I wasn't near the speaker stack!

5 hours ago, Popsbengo said:

I have read that due to the hard connection between the head and the rifle stock there can be bone transmission into the inner ear.  I'm not qualified to say if this is the case but it is widely reported.   In my old job we were not allowed to wear earplugs in engine test beds as the noise was so intense - special large ear defenders were issued.

The worst hearing loss I've ever suffered was following a Hawkwind concert - and I wasn't near the speaker stack!

That makes sense.. so would plugging then stop that transmission inside the ear? Maybe I'll try without plugging and see if it's any better.

5 hours ago, banus02 said:

are you using a muzzle brake ?

Yes I am

then dont ! use a moderator if you have one but be aware of shooters either side of you using muzzle brakes. sound enters your ear canal through the bone just behind your ear and you will pick up muzzle blast shock wave through your head <concussion> that the main reason bisley have started charging extra for muzzle brakes and insisting if one is used you have to have at least one shooting lane separation. 

1 hour ago, JCalleja91 said:

That makes sense.. so would plugging then stop that transmission inside the ear? Maybe I'll try without plugging and see if it's any better

I don't think so, rather it's better to (a) reduce the muzzle blast and (b) wear good ear defenders with quality cuffs 

7 hours ago, Ariel45 said:

It's hard to say for a fact that there can be a bone transmission into the inner ear. Have you tried different ear pro's? Or perhaps you need to visit the doctor to proper diagnose what the issue is.

I mean the Peltors feel like they have a better seal than the Swatcoms I use at work. And I use the surefire plugs at work too.

With more people using muzzle brakes at the range, I was also having hearing problems. This was even worse on covered firing points.

I gave up on Sporttacs and went over to Protac Shooter. They are bigger and are rated at -32db instead of -26db for the sporttac. 

They are quite bulky, but I don’t find it a problem 

See this is the thing.. nothing sounds loud, I don't have any ringing in the ears immediately after. It's like.. After a few hours I start to get it, stays for a day or so then goes.

I'll have a play with some foam ear plugs. Because it's only in my right ear as well and I did notice the surefire plugs fit better in my left ear than my right.

2 minutes ago, JCalleja91 said:

See this is the thing.. nothing sounds loud, I don't have any ringing in the ears immediately after. It's like.. After a few hours I start to get it, stays for a day or so then goes.

I'll have a play with some foam ear plugs. Because it's only in my right ear as well and I did notice the surefire plugs fit better in my left ear than my right.

Maybe not shooting related, a visit to the GP ?

Ringing in my ears/ tinnitus is constant and classed as industrial deafness after 40 years in industry. Can’t hear the washing machine ping but can hear the central heating boiler fire up at 6:30 from upstairs. Recently went over from peltor electronic defenders to CENS in ear devices and they’re great for out in the field but at the range they’re too loud next to brakes etc even on range settings so have gone back to the peltors for the range and add a pair of the little Xmas tree looking plugs as and when needed. Anyone remember the little white dot and the whine on the tv at close down- same as tinnitus!!! .

Once you have it that’s it . Buy the best protection, peltor do a model with 3 dots signifying max sound reduction that we wear on the turbine floor/ compressor deck. Arco sell them. 
cheers

Think my peltors are the sport model electronic ones . There is another model with bigger ear cups which give 35db protection https://www.arco.co.uk/Web-Taxonomy/Personal-Protective-Equipment/Ear-Plugs-%26-Ear-Defenders/Ear-Defenders/3M-PELTOR-ProTac-Shooter-Overhead-Ear-Defenders/p/PIMM00000000027335 

there’s usually an arco shop somewhere nearby that you can try stuff on to make sure it fits and doesn’t mess up with the cheekrest 

Holy **** they're expensive. 

I mean with the Sport Tacs and SureFire plugs I'd surely be achieving over 35db reduction.

And I certainly don't feel like I'm hearing the bangs.. im leaning more towards the resonance through the cheek as my issue.

Think the price is for a box of ten so £122 each plus vat . 
A nice chunk of neoprene rubber on the cheek rest works wonders just need to readjust it a bit . 3mm thick is enough or I have used soft leather from an old sofa before. 
Now onto a WIEBAD product for the AI . Hoptic pads were rubbish in my opinion. 

https://rifleshootermagazine.co.uk/article/peltor-protac-ear-muffs-test-and-review

These are the ones I mentioned. They aren’t silly money and to my ears at least, are miles better than the Sport tac. Obviously the fit is important.

They seem to be sold by outlets I’ve never heard of. Thankfully, mine arrived without any problems.

• 1 month later...

In case anyone ever suffers the same as me, i appear to have solved my issue :)

I believe it was either the Muzzle Brake or the inner ear pro. I changed my aggressively ported Muzzle Brake for the Tactical Accuracy International Muzzle Brake that has 90 degree ports, and i used simple expanding foam ear plugs for inner ear protection. No tinnitus or temporary hearing loss :)