Anyone shooting RS70 in .284w??

Catch-22

I've shot N165 and N160.

I prefer the N160 as its a bit faster.

My 26 inch bartlien will launch a 180gr bullet at around 2800fpfs on a mild day...

2830fps or more on a warm day..

RS60 is really good too.

51.8grs will gets me 2880fps.

All 3 powders give great accuracy..

I used the RS60 180gr hybrid load in the last club match as the match before I lost 3 x 180gr ELDM's on the way too the 600yds target.

The first ones in my 284..

It was a coldish morning and my bal cal was showing 2770fps in the current temps..

I'd not used the RS60 load for 3.5 years or more..!!

I loaded them a few thousandths longer and gave them a whirl..

They shot like a laser.

Way better than I'd hoped

@No i deer - interesting and helpful reports with photos. Do you find with the shorter barrel that N160, being a tad faster, is a better alternative than  the slower burning powders?

@Pat Allen Many thanks for that. I assume you are getting the accuracy, despite Brillo’s experience? What barrel length, twist and bullet are you shooting if you don’t mind me asking?

Thanks all!

@Laurie - do you still favour N165 in the .284w after all your extensive testing?

And what’s your final opinion on Lovex SO70? I’ve got a number of tubs which I use for .300wm and 30-06. Ive found its a very stable powder, very forgiving on showing pressure and seems to give both good groups and low ES/SD. But the velocity is significantly on low side. 
I’d be interested to try SO70 when I have a .284w barrel spun up. It’ll likely be your standard 32” 1.25” straight, 1-9” (or 1-8”) twist, throated for 180 Scenar Ls, using straight .284w Lapua brass. I’m just not sure if SO70 will be too slow?!?

I just opted for N160 for the extra speed as accuracy wasn't a problem..

I took it up another 1.5grs or more but the groups opened up..

I use 162gr eldx's too on 54.8grs I think that will send them over 2900fps.

N165 used too push the 162gr amaxs about 2840fps if my memory serves my right.

Top speed you need RS60..

I did go out too 52.5grs behind a 180gr hybrid..

Proper fast but showed pressure..

Brass would soon be scrap..

I've had 15 firings from lapua brass..

Necks started snapping off from wear from a couple of neck turns

On 3/18/2023 at 1:41 PM, Catch-22 said:

@No i deer - interesting and helpful reports with photos. Do you find with the shorter barrel that N160, being a tad faster, is a better alternative than  the slower burning powders?

@Pat Allen Many thanks for that. I assume you are getting the accuracy, despite Brillo’s experience? What barrel length, twist and bullet are you shooting if you don’t mind me asking?

Thanks all!

30 inch barrel . 1 in 8 with 280 g hybrids. See target 7. That was 10 shots at 100 mtrs so not bad. Need to tune seating depth though. 

694E133C-D9B0-4791-BE94-FACCE39C56B5.png

• 1 month later...