HELP - Magazine Identification AI/Tikka?

Hello,

I have a magazine that has been modified from a Tikka (or similar) magazine to .308 to go in a vintage AI rifle. The modification was done in the mid 80s so the original mag will be from a rifle of that vintage, does anybody know what it may be from originally as I would like to make some more mags for myself.

The mag internals have been blocked and the follower chopped to accommodate 308 to work in the AI so I would presume the mag started out in a long action calibre e.g. 300wm.

Any help is much appreciated

IMG_1860.jpg

IMG_1861.jpg

IMG_1862.jpg

IMG_1863.JPG

IMG_1864.JPG

That is a magazine from an original PM Rifle, prior to 1986

There are a very small number out there, as once the L96 was approved, the magwell was shortened to accept the L96/AW mag that we all know now. This mag was handmade at AI for the 308, it was never a long action calibre for AI.

I spoke to Dave Walls about them last year, he couldn't remember what mag they were originally, possibly American, or possibly made from scratch.

It will only fit one of the early rifles with the long magwell.

Apart from the one I own, I knew of one other which I think is now in the US.

Hope that helps.

Thanks Roy, yes it's from my AI PM, was hoping if I could find the mag they started with I could make some more for myself.

Steve Houghton in his book mentions they might be Tikka hence my initial assumption.

It looks vaguely similar to the Tikka M55 mag which would place it if the same vintage as the original AI PM