Dragging kit to the Firing Point

Last time I shot at IR2 I seemed to be the only one who had to make two journeys from my car. My body is not in good shape partly as a result of falling of motorcycles taking hedonism to its logical conclusion. Without a Time Machine I can’t put that right so need to find a better set of kit.
My mat alone takes up a huge amount of space, being one of those thick vinyl covered jobs that folds into four - comfy but I’ll chop it out for a roll up I guess. I carry my rifle in a heavy plastic case that came with my Sabatti rifles and offers superb protection, but are cumbersome. My range box is a large Plano box that everything goes in easily, but again is ungainly.

This kit is perfect for Bisley where I can pull my truck up behind the firing point, but is a pain, literally, to walk the seemingly increasing distances at MOD ranges. I notice that AIM mats and bags seem popular, but they’re not cheap; are they worth the investment? I rearly I could do with strapping as much to my back as possible?

Any thought would be appreciated 

23 minutes ago, Ralpharama said:

Last time I shot at IR2 I seemed to be the only one who had to make two journeys from my car. My body is not in good shape partly as a result of falling of motorcycles taking hedonism to its logical conclusion. Without a Time Machine I can’t put that right so need to find a better set of kit.
My mat alone takes up a huge amount of space, being one of those thick vinyl covered jobs that folds into four - comfy but I’ll chop it out for a roll up I guess. I carry my rifle in a heavy plastic case that came with my Sabatti rifles and offers superb protection, but are cumbersome. My range box is a large Plano box that everything goes in easily, but again is ungainly.

This kit is perfect for Bisley where I can pull my truck up behind the firing point, but is a pain, literally, to walk the seemingly increasing distances at MOD ranges. I notice that AIM mats and bags seem popular, but they’re not cheap; are they worth the investment? I rearly I could do with strapping as much to my back as possible?

Any thought would be appreciated 

I feel for you; have you considered a powered golf cart modified to take your stuff?  There's a couple of chaps around I know using that solution to good effect.  Plenty of battery capacity for to and fro on a range.

AIM products are high quality design and manufacture.  Re AIM mats - I have one and it's very good, bigger than the common rolled up type and quite stable for my back bag.  I also have a couple of AIM drag-bags, a very comfortable way to lug gear up a range on your back if you must.

I am very impressed with my AIM drag bag. It makes carrying the rifle and a fair few other items in the pockets alot easier when it is on your back. The quality seems very good in all aspects and I would highly recommend them.

I have started splitting my range bag up for similar weight lugging reasons. Taking tools in case they are needed is another area to look at. I now leave the separate toolbox in the car until it is needed. It is there as a backup, but +90% of the time it sits in the boot.

Range trolleys are the other alternative. Just get one with big wheels to get over uneven ground better.

I use a  fold up 4 wheel garden trolley, it holds my roll up mat,range bag,3 scoped rifle bags with the help of bungee straps, and other bits and pieces ,it's a 300 yard walk to the 100 yard firing point at our local mod range,😬😬

Luckily at gardners you can park behind the firing point, 👍

Thanks for the info lads.

I have just put my plastic into meltdown for the AIM bag and mat. Talked to the owner on the phone who was most helpful and friendly. ALso a biker which helps :)

I have got a trolley I bought for the job, but found that loading and unloading is so tiresome and time consuming that unless I have need for many rifles it is unlikely to get many more outings. I am hoping the cost-a-lot new bag will enable me to put most of what I need in the bag and not bother with the large range box. Time will tell!

• 5 months later...

We all use a garden waste type trolley 

big 4 big wheels , a few years back the young’urns took the piss but now theve all got em !!

landmark hate and cars unless they are in the car park 800 mtrs from the firing point!

There’s some nice fishing kit that might be useful at go outdoors. 
Aim bag can hold rifle, ammo , bipod , tools , rain cover Aim made for the bag or to cover the rifle itself, 

Often put rifle in a pelicase it’s heavy but has wheel s so it’s easy to drag and can strap a target to it (16x48” ) rest of gear and a flask and sarnies go in a big rucksack. 

I once had a large plastic tool box with wheels on one end and a extending handle at the other. Everything went in the box, mat across the box / handle and rifle in the trusty AIM dragbag. Jobs a good'n! 

On 8/14/2023 at 9:34 PM, No i deer said:

Alot of f class shooters use these including myselfScreenshot_20230814_213210_eBay.thumb.jpg.a118fcfe6d0db42d602de229eb158e04.jpg

I have same, very very good, and really useful when you need to get a load of books  to the charity shop after a bit of  dostanding.