Day walking, hiking rucksack

andybrock

I’m after a new rucksack, just for days out walking / hiking, probably looking around the 30l size, possibly a bit smaller, just to carry a waterproof, a couple of extra layers, butties, water bottle etc. 

Any recommendations?

cheers and happy new year UKV

I have a few rucksacks for different purposes (Tasmanian Tiger for a 3 day sack) but for a 1 day sack I really like my Mystery Ranch 3 zip. At around 25L it is not too big and doesn’t look overly tactical. Very well made from quality materials with a simple yet well thought out design.

46 minutes ago, ds1 said:

I have a few rucksacks for different purposes (Tasmanian Tiger for a 3 day sack) but for a 1 day sack I really like my Mystery Ranch 3 zip. At around 25L it is not too big and doesn’t look overly tactical. Very well made from quality materials with a simple yet well thought out design.

Thanks, someone else also said Mystery Ranch Gallagator was another good day pack.

6 hours ago, Scotch_egg said:

That fuse box doesn’t look very comfortable to wear at all. 

i didn't see that in the OP's requirements!

Honestly, its fine. Ive used it extensively for holidays, walking, hunting and many business trips to Europe on the train carrying 3 days clothing and IT equipment. its really good and the single large compartment is Tardis like. its really strong and fabric is waterproof, zips aren't though

Sorry messed up the post but I use the above for years and find the side pocket s useful for water bottles or flask and waterproof trousers keeping the inner bit dry for spare clothes , cakes , picnic box etc . Very comfy on the back and doesn’t make you too sweaty. 35 litre means you can get your shooting jacket in there when it’s a bit warmer and most of your range gear too . Good luck with your search 

I have just bought an Osprey Escapist. As a result of this thread I finally bit the bullet (can you even say that now days)I’ve been putting it off for ages as I’ve always just used one of the kids bags as they get through them like confetti. Issue being they are fashion items and not comfortable being warn all day. 
I think it’s great value and probably the best fit for the OP’s requirements. Better value than the one I linked earlier. I update when it arrives.

https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/15894997/osprey-escapist-25-biking-pack-15894997

7 hours ago, lapua said:

i didn't see that in the OP's requirements!

Honestly, its fine. Ive used it extensively for holidays, walking, hunting and many business trips to Europe on the train carrying 3 days clothing and IT equipment. its really good and the single large compartment is Tardis like. its really strong and fabric is waterproof, zips aren't though

The OP said days out hiking, the fuse box isn’t that kind of bag let’s be right here. I have a similar bag that has plastic coated fabric for overnight trips etc with a single compartment. It’s ok for that kind of requirement but not hiking/walking.  

22 minutes ago, Scotch_egg said:

I have just bought an Osprey Escapist. As a result of this thread I finally bit the bullet (can you even say that now days)I’ve been putting it off for ages as I’ve always just used one of the kids bags as they get through them like confetti. Issue being they are fashion items and not comfortable being warn all day. 
I think it’s great value and probably the best fit for the OP’s requirements. Better value than the one I linked earlier. I update when it arrives.

https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/15894997/osprey-escapist-25-biking-pack-15894997

I have a similar bag that has plastic coated fabric for overnight trips etc with a single compartment. It’s ok for that kind of requirement but not hiking/walking.  

The Osprey escapist looks just about perfect! - Thanks!

I use a Deuter 30 ltr for day hiking, I bought it in 2012, and have walked 1000,s of miles with it since then and it’s still as good as the day I bought it , it has an airflow system which stops your back from sweating , it’s very comfortable ( I hiked 110 miles round Cornwall in a week and didn’t have sore shoulders or back,) it also has an internal zipped flap so you can separate it into 2 compartments with a zip to access the lower area separately , so you can get easy access to waterproofs food  etc without unpacking the whole bag. They are a great bit of kit and not hugely expensive