6.5 PRC /6.5 284

Dave45

Hi folks , recommendations please , im looking at the above rifle calibres only.

Application, pure stalking,sometimes shot strings ,4-5 but more like 1-2 regularly.

Able to reload , but being able to buy a box of factory in a bind never hurts...

Please advise 

If your buying factory ammo then you are more likely to find PRC on the shelves than 6.5-284

I used 6.5-284 extensively (4 barrels worth) for a number of years looking after deer on my own areas and some regular clearance work which involved high intensity “cycles” both near and far

ill add that I have been using copper bullets since they were first available (GS customs) in that particular rifle 

The 6.5-284 excelled at this work - despite long action and BDL magazine there was no issue with multiple kills

You do need to reload it though 

PRC is the current marketing darling in 6.5, 7 and 30 cal 

I’d choose inherent accuracy over marketing pressure every time 

7 hours ago, Ronin said:

If your buying factory ammo then you are more likely to find PRC on the shelves than 6.5-284

I used 6.5-284 extensively (4 barrels worth) for a number of years looking after deer on my own areas and some regular clearance work which involved high intensity “cycles” both near and far

ill add that I have been using copper bullets since they were first available (GS customs) in that particular rifle 

The 6.5-284 excelled at this work - despite long action and BDL magazine there was no issue with multiple kills

You do need to reload it though 

PRC is the current marketing darling in 6.5, 7 and 30 cal 

I’d choose inherent accuracy over marketing pressure every time 

Fair do pal , I'll get the 284 then

Will it work on a tikka T3 action if it gets opened up or do I need a magnum action?

.473 bolt face (standard non magnum)

Action may need the bolt stop changing if it is originally a short action donor and mag changed to