FAC Variation

levelplaying

I have had an FAC for some 15 years on an open basis. I have four slots, two of which are taken up, .308 and .260. The other two are for .223 and a .22 rimfire. They are currently vacant but I intend to purchase two rifles shortly so my allocation will have been used up.

If I want to purchase another .308 to be used for the same purposes as my existing  .308, and another calibre, say .270  how can I justify this to the Firearms Officer on my variation request.

On 12/31/2022 at 7:49 PM, phoenix said:

For 2 rifles with the same chambering claim one is for daytime use, the other to be used with night vision equipment

Cheers

Bruce

I'm with Bruce! A permanent NV system! 

On 12/31/2022 at 7:44 PM, levelplaying said:

I have had an FAC for some 15 years on an open basis. I have four slots, two of which are taken up, .308 and .260. The other two are for .223 and a .22 rimfire. They are currently vacant but I intend to purchase two rifles shortly so my allocation will have been used up.

If I want to purchase another .308 to be used for the same purposes as my existing  .308, and another calibre, say .270  how can I justify this to the Firearms Officer on my variation request.

You justify this with your reasons, pure and simple. Why do you want or need another .308? The answer to this is your reason and should be the one you use.

Don't be asking a complete stranger or the internet for a reason as you'll get their reason and not yours.

16 minutes ago, Mattnall said:

You justify this with your reasons, pure and simple. Why do you want or need another .308? The answer to this is your reason and should be the one you use.

Don't be asking a complete stranger or the internet for a reason as you'll get their reason and not yours.

Fully agree.  You either have a good reason or you don't. Just think through why for yourself and be prepared to stand behind it when challenged.

Thanks Mattnal and Popsbengo.

I posted the question for opinions. Yes, I agree that my question may solicit responses from individuals that I have not spoken to or know, but it does open up a conversation not just for me but others that may have similar questions. Indeed, I don't know many of the people from this shooting forum as I don't know you, and naturally evaluate any advice provided carefully. However  there are individuals on this forum whose opinions I do value. As you say, it's my licence and my requirements.

I agree that honesty is the best policy, and felt uncomfortable with the initial responses, but I would have employed an honest policy with my firearms officer as I have always done. I wanted some different perspectives

Regards

At my last renewal I added a 223 to my fac and got the 308 changed from target only to target and any other legal quarry. My reasoning was that I’d like to shoot any deer the farmer wanted controlling but didn’t want to buy more rifles ie 243 . After a short chat my firearm s officer was happy with the idea and was happy about my understanding of backdrops etc with the larger than standard deer calibre .  He was pleased with the overall outcome of not having more guns in my safe and for the 308 to be used for multiple purposes. 
As said above honesty is the best policy and the Feo lads are very easy to talk to as long as the reasoning is sound . 
cheers 

18 hours ago, levelplaying said:

Thanks Mattnal and Popsbengo.

I posted the question for opinions. Yes, I agree that my question may solicit responses from individuals that I have not spoken to or know, but it does open up a conversation not just for me but others that may have similar questions. Indeed, I don't know many of the people from this shooting forum as I don't know you, and naturally evaluate any advice provided carefully. However  there are individuals on this forum whose opinions I do value. As you say, it's my licence and my requirements.

I agree that honesty is the best policy, and felt uncomfortable with the initial responses, but I would have employed an honest policy with my firearms officer as I have always done. I wanted some different perspectives

Regards

But only you have your reasons for wanting.
You asked for justification for the slot to give to your certification department but you should already know that.
Anyone else's justification would not be yours. Others will have their reasons for why they may want a different rifle, but each person has their own individual reasons and that is what should be stated on any application or variation.