N160 for 6xc

andybrock

Ive been given a couple of tubs of N160 which I’ll use in my 6xc with 105g amax.

looking on the web for starting loads and there seems a massive spread in powder weight charges for this powder, Vit suggest starting load of 31.6 and max 37.5 which seems extremely conservative when others are using 40-42g+ appreciate some may have been using coated bullets.

if any of you have used this powder in 6xc with 105g bullets what would you suggest starting at?

Bear in mind coated bullets use a higher charge to get the bullet to the same speeds as uncoated bullets because the coating reduces friction and pressure build up.

I found this using HbN for both 6.5 and .338. Typically I had to up my charges by around 1.5gn to 2.0gn above uncoated bullets in 6.5x47 with 123gn bullets.

In my .338 Norma Magnum, 300gn bullet, my charges are about 3.0gn higher than uncoated bullets.

So if you’re using load data for coated bullets, I would reduce the charge by at least 1.5gn if using uncoated bullets.

stay safe 👍

I've not used it in the 6XC but have with the 6 x 47 Lapua using 105 Scenar & Sierra 107MK and started with 39gn, went up to 41gn and settled on 40.   The case is slightly smaller than the XC so you should be same with that.

2 hours ago, Leeman said:

I've not used it in the 6XC but have with the 6 x 47 Lapua using 105 Scenar & Sierra 107MK and started with 39gn, went up to 41gn and settled on 40.   The case is slightly smaller than the XC so you should be same with that.

Out of interest, what velocity’s are getting with your 6x47 I also use n160 in my 6x47 with 108g Eldm. But I’m running on a mild 2850

Out of a 29" barrel, 39gn gave ave 2865fps, 40gn: 2941, 41gn: 3003, all with 107smk

with 105scenar same charge weights: 2903, 2960, 3041

Those were shot on different days with an optical chronograph so are only really valid in the progression on each day rather than absolute values.   I also tried 110SMK but couldn't get any acceptable accuracy either changing charge weights or seating depths so gave up on them.   I'm just using the 107SMK at the moment out to 600 yards in club F class matches