Calton Moor Inside Tunnel Range. Any good?

chaz

Hi folks,

Has anyone any experience of using this range?

It doesn't give details of the rules, but I'm presuming it will be common sense and a look at your FAC.

Any constructive knowledge of experience is appreciated.

Cheers

Chaz.

1 hour ago, chaz said:

Hi folks,

Has anyone any experience of using this range?

It doesn't give details of the rules, but I'm presuming it will be common sense and a look at your FAC.

Any constructive knowledge of experience is appreciated.

Cheers

Chaz.

I use it now and again when I can't get outside.  Mike's a great bloke, the facility is fine.  He will probably want to watch you set up and get underway which is not unreasonable for a new customer.  He usually leaves me to crack on.  There's two tunnels side-by-side and it can be very loud so I recommend ear plugs as well as ear protectors.  I take my own target faces so I can retrieve them at the end of the session.

There's a table to set up on and the firing benches are solid and you can lay prone on the bench if preferred.  The targets are CCTV monitored so easy to see fall of shot. 

39 minutes ago, Scotch_egg said:

Definitely take your own targets and I would probably recommend a roll of backing paper to cover the board for a fresh start. 

That's definitely a good call

I usually use a roll of lining paper and attach my A4 targets or my stick on shoot N See. Can I control the auto target system?? As in move the targets back and forward electronically??

2 hours ago, chaz said:

I usually use a roll of lining paper and attach my A4 targets or my stick on shoot N See. Can I control the auto target system?? As in move the targets back and forward electronically??

As far as I know from my last visit (12 months ago) the targets are a walk above ground to the target shack and lower them down on frames,  there is/was no target retrieval system 

1 hour ago, Scotch_egg said:

Are they accessible without having to walk above ground now? It’s a while since I’ve been to the range. 

unless things have changed very recently, no, it's still a walk to the shed and pull them up

29 minutes ago, chaz said:

I think it's £20 per hour per lane. Would I be able to bring a family member as I'm disabled?? He just does the fetching and lifting. He wouldn't be shooting.?

can't see why not,  give Mike a call, he's a fine chap

Yea, ultimately, I will need to call Mike. But it's always good to go in prepared. 

Just a shame you have to go back up ground to change targets.... Even a string on a wheel would be sufficient. And easy to use/maintain such a basic set up... I hope the target attachments/holding will hold my cardboard backing so I can attach 4 or even 6 different A4 size targets for load development purposes.

I haven't got the equipment to whip up new loads equipment. No doubt owners of Wilson equipment and similar will do.

• 3 weeks later...