Upgrade from .223 to....

Griffo

Hi guys, looking at my next rifle solely for long range shooting. Only get to shoot at certain ranges 5/6 times a year with my gun club.

I currently have a .223 R700 police which I have got out to 800m.

I want to get out further and unsure on the best option for what's next? I like the idea of a 6.5 Creedmore, seems a very capable round from what I have read.

Any experiences/thoughts would be helpful, currently do not home load but will be considering it eventually - so factor in using factory ammo. 

Thanks 🤘

I shoot my 6.5CM out to 1200 at Bisley no issues, However I guess it depends how far you intend to go? 

I have a major itch to ring steel at 1 mile, so Ive also got a 300PRC. If I had of had a .223 that would get out to 800 I might have skipped the 6.5cm and gone straight to magnum. Other thing is I hand load everthing so Im afraid I have no idea on the avialability of rounds.

21 minutes ago, martin_b said:

I shoot my 6.5CM out to 1200 at Bisley no issues, However I guess it depends how far you intend to go? 

I have a major itch to ring steel at 1 mile, so Ive also got a 300PRC. If I had of had a .223 that would get out to 800 I might have skipped the 6.5cm and gone straight to magnum. Other thing is I hand load everthing so Im afraid I have no idea on the avialability of rounds.

This is my thoughts, I don't want to go for something that's going to give me the ability to go to 1000 and then want more. I'm still fairly new to long range shooting so still learning.

Iv shot .416 and that's the other end of the spectrum and was too easy.

I'm also considering 300win...

If you are looking for a factory rifle in 6.5 CM you could consider: Tikka T3x TAC a1, Ruger Precision Rifle (I have one of these, but now too expensive new for what they are [buy the Tikka]), or a Sabatti. In fact, someone shoots a Sabatti rifle in benchrest factory class at Diggle (600 and 1000 yards) very well.

Your issue may be the availability and cost of factory ammunition for whichever calibre you choose. 

31 minutes ago, geek said:

If you are looking for a factory rifle in 6.5 CM you could consider: Tikka T3x TAC a1, Ruger Precision Rifle (I have one of these, but now too expensive new for what they are [buy the Tikka]), or a Sabatti. In fact, someone shoots a Sabatti rifle in benchrest factory class at Diggle (600 and 1000 yards) very well.

Your issue may be the availability and cost of factory ammunition for whichever calibre you choose. 

Thank you, iv been over to my local gunsmith today and checked over a few rifles. They showed me pretty much everything from howa to A.I. The one that caught my eye was a Ruger precision in 300win. Was very heavy and had a decent chassis system from factory. I liked the weight too, very similar to my R700. It's definitely a contender...

11 hours ago, Griffo said:

Thank you, iv been over to my local gunsmith today and checked over a few rifles. They showed me pretty much everything from howa to A.I. The one that caught my eye was a Ruger precision in 300win. Was very heavy and had a decent chassis system from factory. I liked the weight too, very similar to my R700. It's definitely a contender...

one thing to consider is where will you shoot it    300win is restricted on some ranges i believe