Moderator "Wraps" are they worth using?

chaz

Hi folks,

I'm currently thinking of buying a moderator wrap of some description, but I've not made my mind up yet.... 

I presume the main benefit is heat mirage. Is that right? And if so, is there any other benefit??

Bearing in mind, that currently I only shoot paper targets on my own, on open land out to around 400/500 yards, to see how small a group I can achieve....

I'd appreciate some constructive advice.....

Regards.

Chaz....

• 3 weeks later...

I used a Tab Gear SAS3 with my last rifle, which in theory shouldn't take any unexpected journies towards the target. I'm waiting to order another one for my new rifle soon.

Reduction in mirage over longer or more frequent strings of fire is the primary objective of such a cover, however they come with the added benefit of not getting an ouchy hand if you touch your mod too soon after firing.

The negative I guess is that it will take the mod longer too cool between strings.

I used the SAS3 so that I could quickly remove it from the mod after a string to allow it to cool quickly, then simply pull it back over the mod when I started shooting again without having to undo/replace any velcro or buckles.

Other decent brands are Cole Tac and Praesidia as above.