.223 Rem 55 V-Max VS 53 V-Max

chaz

I'm after some constructive opinions folks.

For quite a few years now I've used Hornady 55 grain V-Max Bullet heads in my .223 Rem with 25.1 grains of Vhit N135. It's been my go to load out to 300 yards, and has a muzzle energy of 3200 +/- FPS. The BC is  0.255, and sectional density of .157. It has served me well and has given me great accuracy over the years.

However it is a flat base bullet. I'm thinking of developing a load with Vhit N133, (Which I already have) using 53 grain V-Max Bullet heads. Mainly as the BC is higher, at .290. The sectional density is .151. (Very little difference....) But the 53 grain also has a boat tail. So I'm hoping for a little better accuracy, concentricity, and slightly higher fps . Not that the 55 grain is particularly bad in all the previous aspects when using the 55 grain V-Max heads.

So should I stick with the 55 Grain V-Max, Or hopefully, (after some load development) get maybe better accuracy, with a better BC, and slightly higher fps?

I'd appreciate some constructive advice.....

Regards.

Chaz....

My understanding is that flat base bullets tend to be more accurate, as it’s easier to produce a consistently flat surface than a consistently angled surface.

Boat tail bullets will retain velocity and energy better than flat base bullets, but how far do you intend to shoot them? It’s surely better to hit a 300-yard fox with 450 foot-pounds of energy than miss him with 500.

maximus otter

On 8/19/2021 at 5:02 PM, Richiew said:

Sako factory 55g game heads 

av 3058 FPS , sd 28 , es61 .

berger 55g fb  match av 3017 , sd22, es 53, with 24 grain n135 .

hornady 73eldm av 2702 . Sd 13.8 , es 34 . 22 grain n135 .

berger 73 btt av 2674. Sd 11.8, es 27 . 22grain n135 . 

hornady 52 Amax av 3144 , sd 12.4 , es 25 . 24.5 grain n135 .

Not quite as good as expected even though the accuracy is very good . Need to go up a bit more in speed to find a better node . 
Cheers 

Here’s some info from my post of best 223 fox bullet . The 52 grain Amax were very accurate but I moved up to the heavier bullets . Going by the Bryan litz book the 52 ELDMS should be very good and easy to tune . Also the 53 grain vmax hornady are a well respected bullet and are used in federal factory ammo . N133 and 135 would be best for light bullets . I’ve gone to n540/140 for the heavies nowadays. 
Cheers Rich 

On 9/30/2022 at 6:27 PM, Richiew said:

Here’s some info from my post of best 223 fox bullet . The 52 grain Amax were very accurate but I moved up to the heavier bullets . Going by the Bryan litz book the 52 ELDMS should be very good and easy to tune . Also the 53 grain V-max hornady are a well respected bullet and are used in federal factory ammo . N133 and 135 would be best for light bullets . I’ve gone to n540/140 for the heavies nowadays. 
Cheers Rich 

That's good news then Rich, as I have several hundred 53 grain V-Max, and around 2/3 of a 2 Kilo tub of Viht N133, and 1/2 a 2 kilo tub of Viht N133....

As for the heavy stuff, 143 grain 6.5 Cal, I'm currently using Viht N150, which could be better.....                     But the N150 works great with Sierra TMK 130's.         

Cheers.

Chaz.      

Think the n160 might be more suited to the heavy 6.5s. 
Stock up / bulk buy your favourite bullets, primer s ,and powder . 
I’ve just started using cci small  magnum primers for the 223 with great results. With a top end load with 73 grain bullets I was getting a bit of a ridge around the dent made by the firing pin with standard primers, not any more with the cci450 .

Cheers Rich