Spray back from moderator

@Triffid - thanks for the photo, that might explain what the unused thread is for on the moderator...

@Kalahari - where should a Delrin washer be located?

I took it to a gunsmith today and when he put the moderator on he was detecting vibrations so not getting a snug enough fit, I'm sure when I tighten it as much as I can it didn't move. As it turns out there is pitting in the bore and he said it will never shoot and recommended a new stainless steel barrel. Not sure if I'll be able to put that money into it, so it may be a scrap job and sell the working parts.

On a bit of a downer today from the news, it's a hard lesson I've learnt with my first rifle. Thank you all for your time and responses.

I am pretty pretty  sure that any moderator is NOT designed to have a blast from the shot going all over the end of the outside of the barrel. The outside of the barrel would be fu##### in no time.the reflex type does has an expansion chamber OVER the barrel but it is sealed away from the barrel.there is plenty of diagrams on the Internet.

Cheers shoppe

Screenshot_20220914-060422_Chrome.jpg

Shoppe is right about the barrel being isolated from the reflex expansion chamber, at least for my Wildcat moddy - looking at it the design is broadly similar to the T8 Scout picture he posted. The delrin just maintains alignment on the barrel, rather than sealing the chamber.

So if there is hot gas coming from the back of the mod, then your back to Richiew's ideas about gas leaking down the muzzle threads.

How does the rifle shoot with/without the moderator?

Triffid

@shoppe - I've just found this website and can see what I think you're referring to attached. This never came with mind (used) which is disappointing. I'm wondering if the previous owner discarded it because it didn't fit the varmint barrel? That being said there still shouldn't be gases around the barrel exterior I'm guessing, so I think the poor shape the shoulder/barrel is in is still causing problems.

https://www.gunmart.net/shooting-accessories/equipment/moderators/hardy-gen-iv-moderator

@Triffid - I've always been limited to 100m, but we've had a couple of days away on a 250m range. I hadn't taken the .308 out in a long time so I was trying to get it geared up for taking to Wales to have a go hopefully up to 1000m. I'd be over the moon if I could hit 50mm steel at the 250m. I'm still pretty s***, but at the 100m I've had some groups around an inch, but I'm currently trying to find some factory ammo the rifle likes and that I can actually get hold of. As I say I haven't had it out in a while and after a quick zero at the 100m I was shooting steel so hard to tell, think it shot better without mod, shot a bit lower with the mod on, if that's even a thing.