Switch from Large Rifle Primers to Magnum Primers

redding

Hi

I have been forced to switch from S&B large rifle primers to Remington 9 1\2 Magnum Primers due to supply problems.

The round is .308.  My original load was 47 grains of RS52 with S & B large rifle primers which gave me good accuracy results with a Barnes 130 grain TTSX.

Now I have to use Remington 9 1\2 Large Rifle Primers.

My question please, is there any advice on powder charge weight using the same powder, same (Hornady) cases, I am thinking about safety.

Regards

I developed a load that was printing ok.

Problem now is out of 10 loaded rounds 4 misfired, remington 9 1\2 magnum large rifle primers, thats 40%

Anyone else having issues with Remington primers.

Just called a gun shop to enquire about alternatives, he has some Federal, I asked him about Remington primer problems and his comment was "bin them" 

This is a picture of the misfired rounds, obviously there is nothing wrong with the firing pin and they were seated as deep as they would go.  Never had a misfire with S&B primers in 4 years!

Remington Magnum primers Sept 2022.jpg

On 9/9/2022 at 10:12 AM, redding said:

I developed a load that was printing ok.

Problem now is out of 10 loaded rounds 4 misfired, remington 9 1\2 magnum large rifle primers, thats 40%

Anyone else having issues with Remington primers.

Just called a gun shop to enquire about alternatives, he has some Federal, I asked him about Remington primer problems and his comment was "bin them" 

This is a picture of the misfired rounds, obviously there is nothing wrong with the firing pin and they were seated as deep as they would go.  Never had a misfire with S&B primers in 4 years!

Remington Magnum primers Sept 2022.jpg

Yeh, Rem 91/2 magnum primers:  1 in 20 misfire where CCI so far have never misfired for my .338

Rubbish