Can the Firearms department refuse to issue a temporary S.7 Certificate.??

chaz

A question for the RFD's

When the Police say I must "Lodge my guns at a dealer". How does that work exactly, and what is the likely cost to lodge them and then get them back say 2 months later??

I obviously know it means all my guns, mods and ammo go to a dealer. I mean more about paperwork, and cost....

Thanks.

On 9/2/2022 at 9:49 PM, English Rifleman said:

.... But it is impossible to obtain a membership. you HAVE to be invited by one of the existing members, to even be given an application form.

Unfortunately (by some interpretations) this is the rules for HO Approval.
Paragraph Q of the Criteria For Approval in the Home Office Guidance for Approval states something similar.

Also Paras O and P make if very difficult to let outsiders (unknown citizens, non-FAC holders, etc) from having a go or even attempting to join. But if you are a member of the WI that makes things easier.🤪

Take a look at Home Office Guidance, specifically Paras O-Q and Note 13.

I

4 minutes ago, chaz said:

A question for the RFD's

When the Police say I must "Lodge my guns at a dealer". How does that work exactly, and what is the likely cost to lodge them and then get them back say 2 months later??

I obviously know it means all my guns, mods and ammo go to a dealer. I mean more about paperwork, and cost....

Thanks.

I'm not an RFD but typically dealers charge between £3-5 per week for firearm storage. Unsure of the paperwork implications but i would imagine you inform the police of the red you have left them with.

9 minutes ago, chaz said:

A question for the RFD's

Thanks.

How you do it will be an arrangement between you and the RFD. Costs can vary considerably but for long term storage it can be from £1 per week per item and short term is often slightly higher per week.

Simply, it can be a case of you bring the firearms to the RFD and he takes them and stores them for as long as required (or whatever arrangement you come to).

You can collect at any time if you can produce a valid reason to possess (FAC and/or extension of validity proof) and no one needs to be informed until you decide to dispose of the firearms. It might be prudent to inform the FLD that you have done this to save questions later but it is not required as ownership is not transferred.

ETA: the RFD does not have to do this, it is down to the FAC holder to find a suitable RFD. And please get the fees arranged in advance to avoid embarrassment and shock later.

15 minutes ago, Mattnall said:

Unfortunately (by some interpretations) this is the rules for HO Approval.
Paragraph Q of the Criteria For Approval in the Home Office Guidance for Approval states something similar.

Also Paras O and P make if very difficult to let outsiders (unknown citizens, non-FAC holders, etc) from having a go or even attempting to join. But if you are a member of the WI that makes things easier.🤪

Take a look at Home Office Guidance, specifically Paras O-Q and Note 13.

This is true but it's perfectly acceptable to match a 'cold' enquiry to a member-sponsor, we do this regularly and use the probation period to make a judgement on the probationer's suitability - which is after all what the HO guidance is looking for.  Only turned one person away out of dozens.

after being at a meeting last night  the firearms dept said that they will not offer a temp licence to anyone who did not put their application in 16 weeks before expiring  complete with a medical report . They said there is a reminder sent out at 16 weeks then its down to the holder .

As for storage in my area a lot of dealers have stopped doing it or use a gun trader recomended form and expect monthly payments (as lots of people lodge their guns and forget to pay ) with a stipulation that after non payment after 3 months guns will go th auction  . most around here charge £5.00 a week plus vat  and its a pita for a dealer if they are on a restricted number of stock guns .

17 hours ago, Popsbengo said:

This is true but it's perfectly acceptable to match a 'cold' enquiry to a member-sponsor, we do this regularly and use the probation period to make a judgement on the probationer's suitability - which is after all what the HO guidance is looking for.  Only turned one person away out of dozens.

As I said; "by some interpretations", which may be where English Rifleman is having issues.

4 hours ago, Dellboy said:

after being at a meeting last night  the firearms dept said that they will not offer a temp licence to anyone who did not put their application in 16 weeks before expiring  complete with a medical report . They said there is a reminder sent out at 16 weeks then its down to the holder .

I hope someone asked them why they feel the need to go against the Law and HO Guidance to the Police in this matter.

FA1968s.28B refers and mentioned that if the police have at least 8 weeks to decide the renewal but cannot (or have not) then an extension is automatically given.

10.25 of the Guidance states that: "Where an application is made to the police for the renewal of a certificate at least 8 weeks before the certificate is due to expire, but the police are unable to decide the application before the certificate expires, section 28B of the 1968 Act automatically extends the validity of the certificate for a period of 8 weeks or until the police decide the application, whichever occurs first."

Ask for the answer in writing and see how quickly the renewal is actioned.

Let them get away with it and it becomes the norm.

I called the Firearms dept yesterday for an up-date. I spoke to a very helpful person called "Alan". He said they were concentrating on completing applications that are likely to run out if not done quick enough. He went on to say, they had mostly managed to keep on top of the renewals, but unfortunately some had expired for a short time and the applicants firearms had to be lodged. I explained it was not all my fault, but ultimately, still my responsibility... I explained that my application was complete, along with references, and a Doctors medical report. He said he would be working from home on Monday, but to call the Office for an update and to make enquiries reference lodging my firearms. 

However, I received a call from "Alan" this morning, praising me for how complete my renewal application was, and as a result he was able to complete it this morning, and allowing for postal strikes, I should have it tomorrow!! What a great bloke!

I intend on getting a thank-you card and a big box of chocolates and dropping them off at their office in the next few days.

Thanks for all the replies folks.

• 2 weeks later...

Good result Chaz.   I intend putting in for mine 6 months early and even then I won't be holding my breath.  I moved house in June, sent the requisite notification and after nothing from licencing, chased it up a moth or so later to be told "don't hold your breath" and that it could be many months before they get around to amending my cert.  It's highly likely they won't get around to it before my renewal is due and things are not getting any better across the country with most authorities. There's a ridiculous shortage of staff and it seems since covid restrictions ended, a lot still work from home.  There seems to be insufficient resource allocated.  Not good for all parties concerned.

Hi my certificate was delayed due to checks and home visit but when I got my certificate it was dated 2 weeks earlier and signed off.

I sent a email thanking them for my certificate 

nick