Medical records from your GP

geek

My FAC and SGC are due for renew later this year and I thought that I would submit my renewal early (having had previous issues with my GP in providing the information within the required period). However, having applied to a third-party provider ("Provider") for a medical certificate (my GP will not complete the forms required) eight weeks ago, the Provider as of last Friday was still waiting for my GP to provide the medical records (the Provider submitted the request to my GP about seven weeks ago, chased and even issued a legal letter [the Provider has been chasing regularly]).

I chased my GP last week and their response was “we have been busy”, should be available next week. I will chase again this week.

I am interested to know if anyone else has problems with their GP in releasing their records in sufficient time (they have one month) to allow a medical certificate to be provided?

It's happening more regularly partly because GPs see the chance to make a bit of money going elsewhere.

Remind them that there is a legal requirement for them to release your records and that it should be done within 28 days

Cheers

Bruce

They have already been informed of the legal requirements, they have even had a legal letter reminding them of their obligation from my medical certificate provider.

My GP has zero interest in providing the certificate themselves.

Regards,

If you cannot visit the GP surgery personally, telephone them every day basically annoying them into giving you what you want

If they are as busy as you say, then you calling them every day will make them even busier, so remind them that actually dealing with your issue will reduce their workload.

Remember that this is private work, not NHS work, so the normal channels used to complain about GP performance will probably not apply

Cheers

Bruce

Paul,

I just rang the Surgery and the receptionist was very helpful and asked if I would like to collect or have them posted.  It's only a computer run-off which anyone at the surgery has access to. Not really a GP issue. I'd go along and ask them to print off your NHS records whilst you wait.

I doesn't work like that

The police do not want the applicants medical records - they want the medical proforma which is  now part of the application formed, completed and signed by a registered GP.

If the applicant's GP will not complete the proforma (for whatever reason) the applicant can contact Medcert/Shootcert etc and they will contact the GP to obtain the applicants medical records so that they (Medcert/shootcert) can complete the medical proforma.

My understanding is the applicants medical records have to go directly from the GP to Medcert/Shootcert and not via the applicant

Cheers

Bruce

13 minutes ago, phoenix said:

I doesn't work like that

The police do not want the applicants medical records - they want the medical proforma which is  now part of the application formed, completed and signed by a registered GP.

If the applicant's GP will not complete the proforma (for whatever reason) the applicant can contact Medcert/Shootcert etc and they will contact the GP to obtain the applicants medical records so that they (Medcert/shootcert) can complete the medical proforma.

My understanding is the applicants medical records have to go directly from the GP to Medcert/Shootcert and not via the applicant

Cheers

Bruce

I think you are correct, GP to GP.   

Thankfully my GP is "Pro shooting rights", so I don't have an issue. I have to see him about a medical problem on Friday, and he asked me to bring my FAC and SGC renewal as well and we'll do both! He's a top GP, but I see problems in the future as he retires in around 12 months........ 😣

As has been said, It is YOUR right to a copy of your medical records, whether he is pro or anti shooting.....

But I have to say it really pisses me off, having to list my rifles, ammo limit and shotgun details, when they have them! They're just too lazy to check it themselves....

It has to be said, West Mercia Police are totally hopeless when it comes to knowledge about certificates.......

I had a letter telling me I had to submit my application 8 weeks before they were due to run out. And only then, will they issue a temporary certificate (S.7?) If THEY don't complete it in 2 months!!. But what happens (as is my case) I was staying with family in Cornwall for 3 of those 8 weeks! Along with not getting a Doctors appointment for a 1 week!  Which leaves me stuck for another week as their guidelines state, If I submit it without the Doctors opinion, It will be returned as "Incomplete"

So straight away, I'm going to be on the back foot as I'm only leaving them 4 weeks!!.... If THEY can't complete it in around 5 weeks, they state I will have to lodge all of my guns and ammo with a dealer! How unfair is that!!!

Scare tactics????????

Chaz

3 minutes ago, chaz said:

Scare tactics????????

Chaz

No, just good old British incompetence at work.   There's no "plan",  just a failure to have a system that works

1 hour ago, phoenix said:

I doesn't work like that

Cheers

Bruce

I know the Police don't want NHS records - I sent mine to Medcert. If you get your own records it saves the time and trouble of Medcert applying for them and speeds up the process.

It also might be worth contacting the police and letting them know the surgery are playing hardball.

My surgery wanted £100.00 to sign the proforma, I've only ever been once in ten years, at their invitation, for a check up.  I used Medcert and the surgery sent the records to them just under thirty days so they were aware of the legalities.

I have contacted the GP today and they have stated that they will post the records tomorrow, we shall see! If so, that will have taken them about eights weeks since the request from Medcert.

• 2 weeks later...

Update

Medcert received the medical records last week and I am now waiting for the medical certificate to allow me to submit my renewal. It's getting very close to the eights week recommended for submission!

• 2 weeks later...

My GP has refused to comply, citing "conscientious objection" and has reminded me that all others within the practice, after it was voted on, have been instructed to refuse compliance.  Having literally just got off the telephone to my FEO, he explained that there is a simple one page proforma upon which a GP must list any conditions which could prohibit an applicant from holding firearms, so no obligation to provide any opinion, just to list the scheduled conditions which have been known about for years.  They have 28 days by law to supply that signed letter, or to supply access to patients record to one of two accepted third parties (Medicert or Safe Cert) .  I'm expecting my surgery to play hardball but am prepared to call in daily if that's what it takes and make a nuisance of myself until they comply.  The real fly in the ointment though comes post-Plymouth.  The H/O have requested that this list of conditions must be looked at for years back, not just the 10 years that medical records are legally required to be kept for.  The FEO confirms this is causing them a lot of headaches and it's not a case of inefficiency on their part, it's a case of how to best comply with H/O guidelines which ignore the record period restriction.   There isn't so far any resolution in sight to this save for doing all they can, so fall back on F2F renewal interviews to check with the applicant on previous conditions which should have been declared.  A failure to declare these which is later discovered could result in prosecution and removal of firearms. 

Contact Medcert or Shootcert

They will then contact your GP and get your records from them (your GP has to comply with the request from Medcert)

Assuming you do not or have not suffered from any of the conditions listed on the proforma, Medcert (should on payment of their fee) provide the Police with the information they require as part of you application

Your potential problem is the time it will take for your GP to comply and the time Medcert will take to complete the proforma.

Keep your FEO informed what is happening so that he/she knows you are actively trying to help the process along.

It might be a bit late for this renewal, but since the police will accept a proforma dated up to 6 months prior to the expiry of a certificate, it makes sense to get your GP/Medcert/Shootcert dealing with the proforma as soon as renewal is less than 6 months away

Cheers

Bruce

• 6 months later...
2 hours ago, bounduk said:

The more I hear about obtaining all the paperwork and compliance. The less chance I feel I will get a license…….  : (

it's just a faff and some dosh, don't be put off, in reality it's not much effort

2 hours ago, bounduk said:

The more I hear about obtaining all the paperwork and compliance. The less chance I feel I will get a license…….  : (

That's part of the plan!! - they want you to think it's too much bother

That gives them less work and fewer guns to worry about

If you want a gun and have good reason, then stick with it.

Remember, the Firearms Act states quite clearly that if the applicant meets the conditions laid down in the Act, the Chief Officer of Police SHALL grant a certificate - not should or maybe or "if he feels like it" he SHALL grant a certificate because the law says he has no choice in the matter

Cheers

Bruce

1 hour ago, phoenix said:

That's part of the plan!! - they want you to think it's too much bother

That gives them less work and fewer guns to worry about

If you want a gun and have good reason, then stick with it.

Remember, the Firearms Act states quite clearly that if the applicant meets the conditions laid down in the Act, the Chief Officer of Police SHALL grant a certificate - not should or maybe or "if he feels like it" he SHALL grant a certificate because the law says he has no choice in the matter

Cheers

Bruce

😂  "The Plan".   As if "they" could organise a p1ss up in a brewery.   We're doomed I tells ye

Luckily for me I managed to get my medical cert from my GP in under 2 weeks, my mate however got caught out and had to store his rifles and shotgun for a couple of weeks whilst chasing his GP, we're both in the same authority but different GP surgeries.