Alternative resize wax

Nick 53

Yes, it's a colloidal graphite solution and personally, I wouldn't use it because as with many graphite pastes and solutions, once it sticks to cases you may find it harder to clean off than something like Imperial Wax, which is a natural Lanolin paste, which comes off readily in U/S baths, simply using a cloth or in a tumbler.  I believe you buy it as a concentrated paste or solution then dilute it and apply it with a cotton bud or brush, leave to dry and the aqueous part of the solution evaporates and leaves a carbon coating behind.  Not what I'd want  on my cases due to the strength of the bond on metals.  I've used similar compounds of graphite for other purposes and they are quite stubborn to remove.  I would recommend a small jar of Imperial Wax.  It'll last you years.  Trouble is some put way too much on and complain it makes a mess or they get inconsistency in sizing.  You only need a little, literally rub a little on your fingertips and apply a very thin coat to the case, it takes barely anything.  I tend to use a tiny amount, just enough to make the fingers feel a little greasy without any being in blobs, much as you'd lightly use a hand cream and rub it in.  That is enough to lightly coat half a dozen cases by just handling them.  The heat in your hands keeps it nice and thin and a wipe over the case followed by a small brush with bristles lightly coated and the excess removed, then is used to lube insides of case necks.  Again, you only need a little.  I find that this gives very consistent sizing.  I then trim and chamfer cases before dunking the prepped cases in an U/S bath using Seaclean for maybe 5 minutes, no more needed, and cases come out completely degreased ready for loading.

• 5 weeks later...

I had the occasion to attempt to use Imperial for reforming a 32 ga brass shotgun hull to 50-70 US. It would not work. I wiped it off the cases and applied Hornady Unique wax and it slid though the die like butter. I use them both for light work, with no preference, but this was the first heavy resizing attempted with the Imperial and it absolutely failed. The Imperial is $15US/2 ounces here. Hornady is $5 US/4 ounces. 

If you think you might have the need for some FL sizing it might be good to have a tub of the Hornady lying around. JMO ~Andrew