Primer pocket uniforming

VarmLR

I was sat prepping brass recently and blithely using my Lyman case prep centre which I normally fit with a primer pocket cleaner or pocket uniformer.  I got to thinking on the value (if any) of uniforming new brass pockets and something struck me as fundamentally wrong about the perceived wisdom of using a pocket uniformer.  When  priming an empty case, the reference for my ram  is effectively the forward edge of the case rim as the downward stroke of the ram is what seats the primer, yet the uniforming tool references off the case head!  I would have thought that the whole point of uniforming pockets was to both seat the primer and have the anvil legs at the same reference off datum (base of pocket) each time, or why bother?  As brass migrates with each firing, referencing off the case head must be wrong as for example 2 thou below case head could mean variations in invil to pocket base within the same batch.  I'm not sure how much difference slight variations in anvil make, but some suggest that it can be significant for ignition, hence MV (SD). I've obviously got too much time on my hands...

40 minutes ago, VarmLR said:

I was sat prepping brass recently and blithely using my Lyman case prep centre which I normally fit with a primer pocket cleaner or pocket uniformer.  I got to thinking on the value (if any) of uniforming new brass pockets and something struck me as fundamentally wrong about the perceived wisdom of using a pocket uniformer.  When  priming an empty case, the reference for my ram  is effectively the forward edge of the case rim as the downward stroke of the ram is what seats the primer, yet the uniforming tool references off the case head!  I would have thought that the whole point of uniforming pockets was to both seat the primer and have the anvil legs at the same reference off datum (base of pocket) each time, or why bother?  As brass migrates with each firing, referencing off the case head must be wrong as for example 2 thou below case head could mean variations in invil to pocket base within the same batch.  I'm not sure how much difference slight variations in anvil make, but some suggest that it can be significant for ignition, hence MV (SD). I've obviously got too much time on my hands...

Yes you have 😂

I have tried uniforming new cases and also not bothering - I could see no discernible benefit on Lapua brass 

18 hours ago, snakeman said:

I've obviously got too much time on my hands...

Indeed you have, Varm 🤣... go picking some mushrooms, or something 😉.....good to see you back 👍

LoL!  Yes, just my curiosity about things which make little sense to me!  Good to be back...a couple of house moves have interrupted business and now we're settled again, back to putting more shooting time in.