Muzzle loading revolver

Miseryguts

Hi, 

In the wanted section of this Forum, I saw a recent thread regarding the Westlake ML revolver, one of the replies to which was somewhat less than complimentary.

As I have my name down for one of these (and the variation for) I was wondering if any one else has any input on these??

I already have two BP ML revolvers and am aware of the loading procedure problems. The cleaning regime when using BP substitutes (I use Triple 7) is not too bad, but the attraction of the Westlake was the fact that it used smokeless powders, and they are powders I keep anyway.

Any and all opinions welcome!

2 hours ago, Miseryguts said:

Hi, 

In the wanted section of this Forum, I saw a recent thread regarding the Westlake ML revolver, one of the replies to which was somewhat less than complimentary.

As I have my name down for one of these (and the variation for) I was wondering if any one else has any input on these??

I already have two BP ML revolvers and am aware of the loading procedure problems. The cleaning regime when using BP substitutes (I use Triple 7) is not too bad, but the attraction of the Westlake was the fact that it used smokeless powders, and they are powders I keep anyway.

Any and all opinions welcome!

That'll be me then!   Alan Westlake is a lovely chap and a skilled engineer,  I just could not get on with his product especially the near impossibility of loading soft lead wad cutters (his supply) without the bullet distorting due to the very tight fit in the chamber.  I tried resizing a thou smaller with a Lee die and that helped a bit but not enough.  I also found the gun to be inaccurate in my hands - I'm willing to put that down to my lack of skill however I do ok with my Roger & Spencer .44 ball - granted it has a 7" barrel not a 4".  You may be luckier than me and find it all comes together.

I'm very pleased with my Westlake Alfa revolver. I've had it a couple of years now and I've had no problems. My only gripe would be the poor loading tool/press that is supplied with the kit so I made a more substantial affair.

I use hand cast 158gn flat top round nosed soft lead bullet with Alox lube and 3.1gns of Unique - this shoots very well indeed.

This is six shots at 20 yds, rested on a sandbag with open sights.

OFhXqcTm.jpgFGndvl7m.jpg7jfQ8Cem.jpgSxyKWAMm.jpg?1

KOnMj5ym.png

gxImGsrm.jpgHAP4Ycem.jpg

1066 - If I can get groups like that, I will be a happy Bunny!! Best I get with my 44 ROA with 457 balls is 1.5in at 25m, and there is always a flyer!

The pic of the loader - is that what comes with it, or is that your vesion? 

What are the plastic bits??

M

Those presses there are my own design - the ones supplied are a crude copy of this type - without the wooden handle with just a flat steel base.

Gxgb444m.png?1

The plastic containers are bits I've designed and 3d printed to hold 3.1gns of Unique - just dip them in a tub of powder, level them off and you have six measured charges. The top of the container fit the cylinder so you can charge all 6 in one go. The two parts of the container are held together by a pair of magnets.