7mm SAUM trim length

shooter83

Just wondering if anyone can answer the following question please. The book trim length is 2.025 and my fired brass which chambered so I used it measured 2.038". However noticed carbon fouling on some cases going down to the head of the case. So I assumed the case was not sealing in the chamber properly. The next lot I trimmed down to 2.030. I'm still getting some soot at the neck. Just wondering if this is fine. The rifle is shooting low SD/ES, and as accurately as I'd like, so I'm happy with that. 

P.s. I'm bumping shoulders 2thou

Compress_20220611_204959_9865.jpg

Yep normal to have sooty neck but not down to main body of the brass . Had this years ago and went up in powder to the next node to get the case to expand faster , or you could anneal the case if it’s old and has hardened the brass . In the end I ditched the brass after 17 reloads and got some new stuff (308) lapua . Your brass looks good . 

What bullet and speed are you running..

With a 180gr berger hybrid from a 30 inch barrel 3000fps would be a higher node..

A 184gr hybrids 2950fps is the velocity it likes..

It will hold good accuracy too about 3000fps but it's hard on brass and you get ejector marks 

Probably only bump the neck 1 thou back to as near factory spec .  Do the same every time then you ll know where your starting point is  . Trim to normal spec only if it’s expanded too much . Load and enjoy 

9 hours ago, No i deer said:

What bullet and speed are you running..

With a 180gr berger hybrid from a 30 inch barrel 3000fps would be a higher node..

A 184gr hybrids 2950fps is the velocity it likes..

It will hold good accuracy too about 3000fps but it's hard on brass and you get ejector marks 

I'm using 183g smks and they have been a lot less seating depth fussy than the Berger's. I'm getting about 2840fps with 60.5g. I'm trying to get me Norma brass and barrell to last me at least 2000 rounds. The load is producing low es and SD and I I do my bit I get 1/4 to 1/3 moa. 

Im guessing you don't want to trim back to trim length if you don't have to? If the carbon fouling around the neck is fine I'll just leave things are as they are. Will check the chamber for carbon build up and clean. Was a bit concerned when I read about carbon build up from brass that hasn't sealed in the chamber leading to rifle blowing up on people.

I opted for the Lee trimmer system as its easy..

You could/I could trim too 2.030 if I wanted but my l e Wilson ultimate trimmer is set up for my 7mm 270 which I do trim 5 thousandths less off the max trim length.

My saum has done about 1750 shots so far and still shooting nicely..

I'd be happy to make 2000 shots before I retire it..

Shooting the long-range challenge in a couple of weeks which reaches from 1000 out too 1200yds..

The 184s have served me well out that far