Go with MV or SD?

nCognitos

22 minutes ago, VarmLR said:

I meant that grouping alone at 100m won't be much good to you if you have an SD of 30, at 1000 yds or whatever.  By that distance, the spread will have increased beyond proportionally.  I think you knew this already though.  Grouping is an indicator of a harmonic node, granted but MV consistency from the load data is as important at range. OCW is a good way to see the POI variations "around the clock" so you can concentrate on those with low SD/ES about a similar vertical plane, with low vertical spread.

Yes, I agree and I did say MV was very important, low ES and low SD (with sufficient sample size) is always a good thing.  I'm not a fan of OCW, I have my own methods.

Everyone has their own preferences for their own good reasons.  I get on with OCW but for it to be reliable, care must be taken in case prep and load precision (nearest grain seems ok for most cases). The one drawback with it is the shooting ladder means changing POA for each shot so consistency in natural aim point and cheek weld are important.

47 minutes ago, VarmLR said:

Everyone has their own preferences for their own good reasons.  I get on with OCW but for it to be reliable, care must be taken in case prep and load precision (nearest grain seems ok for most cases). The one drawback with it is the shooting ladder means changing POA for each shot so consistency in natural aim point and cheek weld are important.

nearest grain !! ?    I measure to tenths,  find best group in half grain increments then home in to best at tenths and tweak seating to find best group.  MV ES/SD minimisation is a given.

I'm not particularly bothered about cheek weld, I seem to be able to manage to pick up the same position after marking my data sheet and natural aim point is not an issue with a bipod and bag.  If I were to shoot TR style I'd be hopeless 😁

Yes, my bad.  I meant 1/10ths, not grains!

Cheek weld is usually pretty consistent for me too, with a couple of my rifles that fior very well but one doesn't have a high enough cheek piece (no adjustment) so I have to be more deliberate about positioning each shot.  I should really get around to adding a riser to the cheek piece on that one.