What exactly are the Police (West Mercia) entitled to regarding these new rules of medical disclosure??

chaz

Hi folks,

I've had a letter from the West Mercia Police Firearms Dept, reminding me of my up and coming renewal in September.

But there is also an attached letter stating I have to pay for a medical report. (I expected that)

However, also in the letter is an odd vague (No doubt deliberately vague) section that states they will need me, "to provide a factual medical report" from my GP.  I have spoken with my GP today, (Top bloke) and he states there is a new policy, and he can do it in a way that gets around paying for it, but he basically thinks they want a copy of the whole of my medical history. Is that right? Surely they are only entitled to anything relevant since my last Certificates were issued?? I did call West Mercia Firearms Dept, but as usual the phones are only manned 2 hours a day. BASC were busy so I had to leave a message for them to call me back.

I'm frustrated as hell! It get's a little harder every time I have to renew my Certificates.

Any constructive replies would be welcome, especially from anyone who has recently renewed and gone through this process....

Cheers

Chaz.

have a read through this:  https://www.bma.org.uk/advice-and-support/gp-practices/gp-service-provision/the-firearms-licensing-process

Also - Extract from Guidance to Chief Police Officers Nov 2021

"2.30 Doctors should not be asked to give general access to an applicant’s medical record as this may result in doctors being in breach of the Data Protection Act 2018. Nor should they be asked to either endorse or oppose applications. Responsibility for the decision about whether a person is suitable to be granted a certificate lies with the police, not the doctor."

Thanks Popsbengo,

But in short, that seems like well you could tell the Police nothing or less than they want, so they then come round and seize your guns and you then enter into a David a Goliath fight, that I don't have the funds for.

God I hate the Firearms people!!

3 minutes ago, chaz said:

Thanks Popsbengo,

But in short, that seems like well you could tell the Police nothing or less than they want, so they then come round and seize your guns and you then enter into a David a Goliath fight, that I don't have the funds for.

God I hate the Firearms people!!

It's not that bad!  Just ask the GP to complete the form and he's unsure point him to the BMA advice.  The Police make the final assessment but they are bound to take GP advice.  I think you will be ok.

I've just gone though this as well.

The Police don't want to see your medical records, they are not competent to understand them.  They want a medical practitioner to review you records and confirm that you are not suffering or being treated for anything that may cause you to be a danger to yourself or others.

My local force has a proforma to download and pass to your GP to countersign with a dozen or so conditions which may give cause for concern and asks if you are suffering from any of them.  It's up to the GP then to sign you off so to speak.

I belong to a surgery with a dozen or so practicing GP's and they wanted a £100.00 to sign the form, I've been once in 10 years for a check up, at their invitation, so that rankled a bit.  In the end I used Shooter cert which cost £60.00 and took a month for them to access my records and send me the proforma, or a version of it.   It's been sent to the cops and they've acknowledged receipt with seemingly no issues with the medical form, just waiting to hear from the guy that does the inspections.

There is now a standard proforma that the applicant should give to their GP.

Go to your Police forces website and it should be part of the FAC application/renewal documents.

If it's not on your police forces website, it will be on most others.

Get the proforma into your GP ASAP and ask how much they will charge.

if it's more than £60, you have the option of using Medcert or Shootcert or telling your GP that you can get it done for £60 and he will still have to the same amount of work but not get paid for it

Cheers

Bruce

Yesterday I spoke to BASC, and he reassured me and emailed to me the renewal application and the medical disclosure form. After reading it, I must admit I was quite relieved.

Deserttech Europe, what do you mean by "Shoot Cert". As in an organisation.?

Shootcert and Medcert are private companies set up by GPs to provide a service to gun owners having problems getting their own GP to complete the medical proforma.

If your GP refuses to complete the medical proforma or is charging more than £60 you can contact Medcert or Shootcert and get them to do it for a fee of £60.

They contact your GP and ask for your medical records.  The big deal is that your GP cannot refuse this request and must supply your records to them.

The irony is that if you use Medcert or Shootcert, your GP has to do almost as much work as would have been required if he had been completing the proforma.

If your GP is asking stupid money, remind him of this fact and ask him to review his price - there are lots of stories of GPs suddenly reducing their prices.

Cheers

Bruce

Cheers Bruce. I never even knew anything like that existed!

Thankfully my Doc is sound, and also shoots. But I may be stuck next time if they renew it this time as he retires next year!