Question 

Is it worth putting a wind flag at 1000 yards assuming I can't put any flags up at shorter distances in between, I will be shooting at this distance at the weekend,

I'm thinking anything that helps is an advantage, its not  a competition btw,

Thanks in advance 

Al

54 minutes ago, stottycake said:

Question 

Is it worth putting a wind flag at 1000 yards assuming I can't put any flags up at shorter distances in between, I will be shooting at this distance at the weekend,

I'm thinking anything that helps is an advantage, its not  a competition btw,

Thanks in advance 

Al

Assuming you're shooting 1000yds then a flag at that distance will tell you little unless you can be relatively sure the wind indication is representative of the whole range (unlikely).  It may actually confuse.

I'd take a reading at the firing line and go with that as it's a more influential affect.

6 hours ago, Popsbengo said:

Assuming you're shooting 1000yds then a flag at that distance will tell you little unless you can be relatively sure the wind indication is representative of the whole range (unlikely).  It may actually confuse.

I'd take a reading at the firing line and go with that as it's a more influential affect.

Ah, I thought the opposite as wind would effect the bullet more as it travelled further and started to slow,

28 minutes ago, Elwood said:

I would have the flag and see if it tells the truth, rather than never know.

That was my thinking, as it seems the further  out you get the more help is required, but I stand to be corrected by others with more experience than me,

Stickledown is covered in flags which often point in different directions. My solution tends to be asking those around me what windage they’re  using. I then put that on my scope, see where that takes me and then adjust accordingly. Not that the wind stays still for a moment, so one is constantly changing aim, but it’s fun 🤩 

whilst it feels that the wind will effect a fast moving bullet less than a slow moving bullet, I’m not sure that is the case because the bullet still weighs the same. Gravity has the same effect on a bullet regardless of velocity. Perhaps I need to dig out some ‘o’ level physics textbooks. It is only a bit over forty years ago, I should still be able to remember 🤔

2 hours ago, stottycake said:

Ah, I thought the opposite as wind would effect the bullet more as it travelled further and started to slow,

A common misunderstanding, and one I held until I did some research.  For sure there's a small affect due to the slowing bullet but it's really about the deflection angle, so a small angle close to the shooter will result in a larger deflection down range.  There's some good books available.

I make a note of the closer flags and give them priority whilst 'trimming' my setting a little by looking further out.  This of course requires a series of flags like Stickledown !  If it's light winds and a warm day, haze can be a valuably help.

1 hour ago, Popsbengo said:

A common misunderstanding, and one I held until I did some research.  For sure there's a small affect due to the slowing bullet but it's really about the deflection angle, so a small angle close to the shooter will result in a larger deflection down range.  There's some good books available.

I make a note of the closer flags and give them priority whilst 'trimming' my setting a little by looking further out.  This of course requires a series of flags like Stickledown !  If it's light winds and a warm day, haze can be a valuably help.

That's the trouble there won't be flags anywhere,apart from maybe the firing point, I've shot at the same place twice before and luckily there has been little or no wind,and this hasn't affected anything really, but I've a feeling it will be different this weekend, according to the forecasts I've been looking at,

But as its just a bit of fun I'll  see how it goes,

As for the books you mention can you recommend any,

1 hour ago, stottycake said:

That's the trouble there won't be flags anywhere,apart from maybe the firing point, I've shot at the same place twice before and luckily there has been little or no wind,and this hasn't affected anything really, but I've a feeling it will be different this weekend, according to the forecasts I've been looking at,

But as its just a bit of fun I'll  see how it goes,

As for the books you mention can you recommend any,

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wind-Book-Rifle-Shooters-Conditions/dp/1510739726

The flags can lie as well as Elwood says see if they tell the truth..

The flags will tell you one thing and the mirage will tell you another. Sometimes there going in different directions 🤔😉

If the wind is coming towards you it will help, it coming from behind, then pointless.   Anything in between, it's better than nothing I suppose but a lot of moving air between you and the flag which you can't see or correct for.

Once the bullet has been deflected it will continue on that course until another force acts upon it, so winds at the firing point have a much greater effect than those downrange, simply because there is more distance for the bullet to be deflected over.

MASTER SNIPER Ep 6: How to Read the Wind

31K views · 2 years ago

Dislike

Save

Have a look at this vid from optics warehouse. Nice wind vane mounted next to the rifle. 

8 hours ago, Richiew said:

31K views · 2 years ago

Dislike

Save

Have a look at this vid from optics warehouse. Nice wind vane mounted next to the rifle. 

maximus otter

11 hours ago, Richiew said:

Possibly some useful rules of thumb, less applicable to a target range with wind flags, possibly ok for shooting over unknown/unmarked land.  Not sure if shooting prone a wind indicator placed close by and low down is going to give a representative direction or speed with obstructions and ground turbulence affects.

I'd point out one factually incorrect statement,  45Deg wind is not 'half wind' .  If dead- ahead is 12 o'clock, then half wind is 11, or 1 or 7 or 5 o'clock. (30 deg sin 0.5)

I rather like the more organic wind instrument.

When I was sailing, the simple windex on the top of the mast was far more use than the super expensive electronic jobbie next to it that fed down to the display in the cockpit.

Has anyone seen these for sale?

7 hours ago, Popsbengo said:

Possibly some useful rules of thumb, less applicable to a target range with wind flags, possibly ok for shooting over unknown/unmarked land.  Not sure if shooting prone a wind indicator placed close by and low down is going to give a representative direction or speed with obstructions and ground turbulence affects.

I'd point out one factually incorrect statement,  45Deg wind is not 'half wind' .  If dead- ahead is 12 o'clock, then half wind is 11, or 1 or 7 or 5 o'clock. (30 deg sin 0.5)

Military do things different wind_swag_1024x1024.gif.ebac5dbb524475ef39340797aa3d0b14.gif

Wind vane is from Sniper solutions . Optics warehouse or other suppliers . If your prone and shooting close to the ground the wind is much slower than at head height and shooting to 300 yards on a10 mph wind call puts me off the fig 11 . As per catterick last Saturday. That’ll be why a kestrel comes with a short tripod??

23 minutes ago, Richiew said:

Military do things different wind_swag_1024x1024.gif.ebac5dbb524475ef39340797aa3d0b14.gif

Military looking not military.  It's an American made card not mil issue.

Bit like Rambo really

21 minutes ago, Richiew said:

Wind vane is from Sniper solutions . Optics warehouse or other suppliers . If your prone and shooting close to the ground the wind is much slower than at head height and shooting to 300 yards on a10 mph wind call puts me off the fig 11 . As per catterick last Saturday. That’ll be why a kestrel comes with a short tripod??

10 mph wind, what you shooting .22LR 😁