Supersonic 44 mag load

Scrumbag

18 hours ago, Scrumbag said:

Hi folks,

looking for a 44 mag load with a cast lead 240gr RNFP (Shell House) that is supersonic (for electronic targets).

I have Unique but happy to look at other powders.

Scrummy

Viht N110 works well but I think you will suffer gas cutting issues trying to push cast lead without gas checks.  I tried it and leaded up my barrel like a church roof.

I shoot some jacketed 240gr at "full power" loads with N110, works ok but accuracy is pants compared to a light load of Unique with cast lead.

Thanks both,

I have been looking at the Lyman 4th Ed. Cast Bullet handbook.

Lyman publishes data for the 240gr #429667 out of a Rifle (This looks to be a RNFP or maybe a truncated cone). It isn't gas checked and includes load data for Unique, N110 and H110 so makes me wonder what’s possible.

The other thing with the Lyman data is the bullet is seated at COAL 1.645 which is a) Longer than CIP spec (1.61") and b) the Shellhouse bullets have a seating depth at rather less than that (About 1.58" as memory serves) if you want to crimp into the cannelure.

So, thoughts welcomed. Can you shoot plated bullets as fast as gas checked?

Scrummy

26 minutes ago, Scrumbag said:

Thanks both,

Lyman publishes data for the 240gr #429667 out of a Rifle (This looks to be a RNFP or maybe a truncated cone). It isn't gas checked and includes load data for Unique, N110 and H110 so makes me wonder what’s possible.

The other thing with the Lyman data is the bullet is seated at COAL 1.645 which is a) Longer than CIP spec (1.61") and b) the Shellhouse bullets have a seating depth at rather less than that (About 1.58" as memory serves) if you want to crimp into the cannelure.

Scrummy

I just load to SAAMI spec in the Lyman 49th edition.  Roll crimped.  I've never shot gas checked lead so no info to share.

20 hours ago, Scrumbag said:

Thanks both,

Scrummy

The plated bullets sold here usually list 2000 fps as a max.

Gas checks on a bullet will not avoid gas cutting or leading. Much of that has to do with the bullet fit in the throat. When picking a powder to drive a well-fitting bullet at higher speeds, it's important to match the alloy strength (hardness) to the pressure of the loads, which is why I usually recommend choosing a powder that delivers the target velocity at the lowest pressure. I did 20+ years of work with high velocity cast bullet loads in bottle necked rifle cartridges and this never failed me.  ~Andrew

18 minutes ago, Andrew said:

The plated bullets sold here usually list 2000 fps as a max.

Gas checks on a bullet will not avoid gas cutting or leading. Much of that has to do with the bullet fit in the throat. When picking a powder to drive a well-fitting bullet at higher speeds, it's important to match the alloy strength (hardness) to the pressure of the loads, which is why I usually recommend choosing a powder that delivers the target velocity at the lowest pressure. I did 20+ years of work with high velocity cast bullet loads in bottle necked rifle cartridges and this never failed me.  ~Andrew

Interesting, not a field I've given much thought to.

49 minutes ago, Andrew said:

After a while there wasn't much else to explore in shooting. Performance cast bullet shooting is a study in itself...and an expensive one; I think I have +/- 150 bullet molds -commercial and custom. ~Andrew

Wowser! Any in ~0.423” for 404 Jeff you’d care to part with? Or 9.3mm?

Scrummy

I've got a plain based 9.3 you can have. (for free) Ordered (by catalogue number) a 365" GAS CHECK bullet and NEI Bullet molds sent me a plain base. I called them and the idiot shop foreman, "Jesse" insisted I'd ordered a plain base even though the GC catalogue number matched the receipt in the box. It was custom cut in iron blocks and I'm sure he was the one who screwed up. He said, "No returns. That's final!" and hung up. Never bought another mold from them again.

I do have, somewhere, a .408 RNFB as well. Old Ideal, I believe. ~Andrew