6.5x55 loading.

deadcenter

Hi guys.

Just purchased a Tikka M695 on 6.5x55. 600mm varmint barrel, 1:8 twist.

Was wondering what sort of loads anyone uses with a setup like this one. I have some 139gr scenars and 140gr JLKs and vhit N160 to initially play with.

Any advice welcome.

Thanks.

good afternoon,my tikka t3x loves n150 with 120gr and 129gr bullets  n160 is ok with 140gr bullets but my best accuracy is with nosler 120 gr, n150,coal of 3000,41grs <above book load now so work up!>.some very sooty case with the start load of n160 but a magnum primer or more powder cured that .

Thanks.

A friend has a T3 in which he always put 139/140 gr through it. He tried some 123gr factory Lapua ammunition and it was very accurate.  Surprised us. I assumed the heavier bullet would better suit the twist rate, but apparently not 🤔.

I'm used to 308 and 223 twist rates, the 6.5 twist / bullet relationship is a new one for me.

I'm supprised by book velocities of the 139s, much lighter than the larger calibers, i expected them to be higher. I assume it takes more to push these up the barrel, long bearing surface, higher friction?

Thanks for the info.

If it's the 20" barrel on the T3 it will not be the most efficient using Vit 160 and 140 grain bullets.  That's not to say it won't work, it will, but at light loads you are going to get a lot of soot on the neck and shoulders of the fired cartridge case. You may have noticed that all the load data published always shows "24" Barrel".

I found that a decent velocity and complete powder burn was achieved from my Tikka 20" barrel with Vit 150 and SST 129grain bullets. 

Mine's 24 inches, near as damn it, so i hope for similar figures to a lot of the data.

N165 seemed to give good velocities, N555 might also be worth a look. Not necessarily looking for out and out speed, just an accurate efficient load.

I'll initially be looking at 139/140gr as they're what I currently have.

• 2 weeks later...

We found that relatively inexpensive S&B 140 grain 2905  FMJ-BT bullets propelled by 45.9 grains of Viht N160 ignited by a CCI large Rifle primer proved remarkably accurate in a 1:8 twist, 24" barrelled Tikka. It's a reasonably stout load of powder so work up to it slowly.