Recommend a gunsmith for fluting an existing barrel?

Dolphin gun company did one from me several years ago. Although that was an aftermarket barrel. 

what make/model rifle are you looking to have the work carried out on?

I

currently have a 16” .308 with a very aggressively tapered barrel. Very light weight and provides very acceptable groups. 

On 5/13/2022 at 9:08 AM, CameronWilson said:

Hi Guys,

I'd like an existing factory barrel shortened and aggressively fluted, in the interest of maximum weight saving without compromising stiffness.

Well you'd be fully defying physics there. Not possible.

• 2 weeks later...

That may be true for button-rifled barrels but not really an issue for cut rifled. A TrueFlite (buttoned) barrel can open up a good thou with fluting. Somewhat counter-intuitively, Tikka barrels which are hammer forged can happily tolerate fluting without bore distortion.

55 minutes ago, Chris-NZ said:

That may be true for button-rifled barrels but not really an issue for cut rifled. A TrueFlite (buttoned) barrel can open up a good thou with fluting. Somewhat counter-intuitively, Tikka barrels which are hammer forged can happily tolerate fluting without bore distortion.

Funny somehow if you think that one distorts the complete barrel which also get's several inches longer in the Hammer  process vs only pulling a few  ~0.1mm deep channels in the bore via button pulling. Put that in percentage then the hammer forged barrel should be 100's of times worse.  Saying that I never had a fluted barrel.

Anyway I would prefer a slightly smaller diameter on a non fluted barrel than playing around with flutes. No matter how it is made.   

edi

In my experience hammer forged barrels are the ones more prone to distortion/warping, i had it happen during testing on a scrap Rem barrel. It can even be seen due to threading if you look for it.

It all comes down to how much residual stress is in the barrel after manufacture/stress relieving. When you machine the barrel the stresses can release and that is what causes the problem. Hammer forged barrels due to how they are made tend to have more stress in them. Where as button rifled barrels if properly stressed relieved have minimal residual stress. And cut rifled should have virtually none. 

Plenty of people flute factory barrels and it’s fine. But also there is a good chance it will cause problems. So personally i won’t risk wrecking a customers rifle. Normally shortening the barrel is more effective at weight reduction and improved handling. 

3 hours ago, JR FIREARMS said:

In my experience hammer forged barrels are the ones more prone to distortion/warping, i had it happen during testing on a scrap Rem barrel. It can even be seen due to threading if you look for it.
shortening the barrel is more effective at weight reduction and improved handling. 

Very interesting JR thank you. So is it OK to shorten a Tikka hammer forged barrel and not effect accuracy?

Thousands of Tikkas are done here and they all shoot afterwards. My gunsmith mate has bin fulls of ~6" T3 offcuts, mainly from 7-08s and 308s.

If someone tells you it can't be done, I'd suggest it's time to find another gunsmith.

38 minutes ago, JR FIREARMS said:

Yes it’s fine. To be fair Tikka/Sako barrels are more stable but i’ve seen alot of stress relief issues with Remingtons. The bore can open up at the muzzle once it is turned down and threaded. 

👍

37 minutes ago, Chris-NZ said:

Thousands of Tikkas are done here and they all shoot afterwards. My gunsmith mate has bin fulls of ~6" T3 offcuts, mainly from 7-08s and 308s.

If someone tells you it can't be done, I'd suggest it's time to find another gunsmith.

👍

Thank you for both the replies - reassuring asking those that know. I have a 24" CTR that is very accurate and don't want to mess it up