HSE Proposals for a Restriction of Lead Projectiles

John MH

1 hour ago, John MH said:

The HSE et-al present a comprehensive study with a great deal of data gathered (there are still a great deal of assumption & guesstimates).

I think I now understand better why BASC have opted for a lead-free future for shotguns.  I do not agree or disagree with their position - I don't have the counter-data to consider options.

For my particular sport (target shooting) it looks like it may come down to range management processes to achieve derogation from an outright lead ban.  The NRA will have to take point for this.  Interestingly military ranges are not considered in the report scope - I wonder how that may play out for civi users?

Hopefully (selfishly) I hope it takes a few years to get around to implementing and technologies have moved forward to help overcome the problem of lead.

It's definitely coming down the road, serious alternatives need to be worked.

BASC statement on proposed 
lead ammunition restrictions

Following the publication of the UK REACH restriction dossier for lead ammunition published by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) today, 6 May, BASC executive director of operations Steve Bloomfield said:

“The proposed restrictions would see a ban on the sale and use of many forms of lead ammunition outdoors in England, Scotland and Wales. Limited exemptions have been outlined in the dossier for the continued use of lead ammunition in some licensed settings.

“The wide-ranging proposed restrictions, which closely reflect EU REACH proposals, would apply to shotgun, rifle and airgun ammunition. The dossier will now undergo a high level of scrutiny and BASC will be playing a full role in that process.

“Through a six-month consultation also launched today by the HSE, we will challenge proposed restrictions where there are no viable alternatives to lead, where socio-economic factors mean a transition isn’t appropriate, and where lead can continue to be used in settings that present negligible or no risk.

“We have significant concerns about the short timeframes outlined in the dossier for transition away from the use of lead ammunition, which could be as little as 18 months. This is particularly alarming in light of current global supply chain issues. We will fight for timelines that are realistic and guided by the sector to ensure that the range of lead-free products and their supply can meet market demands.

“BASC will be engaging with the regulator to ensure that proposals are robustly scrutinised and that any future restrictions are based on evidence and proportionate to identified risks. We will not accept disproportionate restrictions that unfairly disadvantage shooting activities.

“Shooting is worth £2 billion to the UK economy, employing the equivalent of 74,000 full time jobs. The proposed restrictions stand to impact all 600,000 live quarry shooters and the estimated four million target and air rifle shooters in Great Britain. The regulator must be able to show its working and acknowledge the monumental challenge that restrictions will bring to the shooting community and market.

“BASC remains fully committed to the five-year voluntary transition away from using lead shot for live quarry shooting that has made such significant progress under challenging conditions.

“Given the severity of the proposed restrictions, the voluntary transition has afforded the sector a head-start in the move away from lead ammunition.”

Even if some exemptions are made it still feels like an enforced and incremental retreat from current ammo will follow.

The UK market already has poor ammo availability and if the market shrinks yet further how long will it be before suppliers and importers see it as non-viable?

This is in addition to likely problems arising from rifling twist rates being inadequate to stabilise longer bullets.

Is this lead 'problem' just another way to suffocate the sport by stealth?

Nobody wants to knowingly pollute but stats and science are often 'adjusted' to suit a specific agenda.

There's a long road to travel yet,  I suspect any legislation will take quite awhile to be implemented and is likely to be more balanced than the HSE recommendations.

I'm waiting for the recommendation to remove all the lead from church roofs...

23 minutes ago, Popsbengo said:

I'm waiting for the recommendation to remove all the lead from church roofs...

I though various lowlifes and members of the criminal classes already had that well in hand! 

Just now, Laurie said:

I though various lowlifes and members of the criminal classes already had that well in hand! 

who knew - agents of the HSE 😁

On 5/7/2022 at 9:13 AM, DaveT said:

Even if some exemptions are made it still feels like an enforced and incremental retreat from current ammo will follow.

The UK market already has poor ammo availability and if the market shrinks yet further how long will it be before suppliers and importers see it as non-viable?

This is in addition to likely problems arising from rifling twist rates being inadequate to stabilise longer bullets.

Is this lead 'problem' just another way to suffocate the sport by stealth?

Nobody wants to knowingly pollute but stats and science are often 'adjusted' to suit a specific agenda.

Nail on the head,the simple truth is they don't want firearms in the possession of the great unwashed 

• 5 months later...

There was iirc a notice from the NRA asking shooters to hold back on replying to the consultation until they (nra) had compiled and published it’s intended response. Only 3 weeks until the consultation closes, have i missed something from the NRA ? Last i saw was a survey asking for more information a while back.