Barrel break in tikka tac a1

Blang

I’ve read so much about barrel break procedure you don’t know what to believe. I’ve just got a new tikka tac a1 in 6.5mm creedmoore and was thinking 5 rounds and then clean barrel. Then repeat this process for about 20 rounds with use of a barrel cleaner, any advice welcome 

I only have top quality barrels.  Barrel break-in procedure ?  Never done it, never will.  Never found a problem.

Of course you will get views from all directions, some purporting to have metallurgical powers, some claiming magical powers, some skeptics like me.  It will very much come down to your choice,  it's one of shooting's abiding contentious issues.

14 minutes ago, Richiew said:

From accuracy international manual image.thumb.jpg.1fb546157b019fd7ae3d384775299c34.jpg

So what ?  Maybe they pander to ill informed customers ?   "If the user wishes...  we would suggest...."  Hardly a ringing endorsement of a "necessary" process.

Other well regarded barrel manufacturers state clearly that it's an unnecessary activity at best and a waste of barrel life.

Just passing on info from the manual for the poster to do with what he wants. Personally I got so excited at my first shoot with the rifle that I just had a great day then cleaned it. Ppu ammo was crap tho . Cheers 

17 minutes ago, Richiew said:

Just passing on info from the manual for the poster to do with what he wants. Personally I got so excited at my first shoot with the rifle that I just had a great day then cleaned it. Ppu ammo was crap tho . Cheers 

No implied criticism of your post at all, I was just expressing a personal view of the value of such advice (from AI).

I could be persuaded that the throat may need special attention in early life as reamer marks may be responsible for some copper deposits.  The cleaning regime needs to remove copper.

Just clean the rifle thoroughly is my belief, get the copper out of the throat area- no matter what the age of the barrel.  Copper removing products work well when given time to act.  The occasional bore polish puts the cherry on the cake. 

Of course, some barrel manufacturers suggest getting all copper out is a waste of time and detrimental to accuracy - requiring fouling shots to be made prior to scoring shots.

We get to choose from conflicting advice...

Hi there 

no probs mate , there is so much info out there it’s too confusing and contradictory. I had a great Saturday ages back and won the local club comp so I thought that if I’m shooting Sunday aswell I won’t clean the barrel as it’s shooting great . Big mistake , Sunday was a disaster. Sometimes it takes half an hour other times 2 and a half hours later I’m happy. Using kg 1 mostly but have had clean patches very quickly , but if I wait and go back it’s stil dirty so went back to shooters choice and that worked better. Need to get all carbon out then start on the copper. 
Trial and error blang and see what’s best for your gun . 
Suns out so time for a walk 

i just dont rag the arse out of them on their first outing, and then crack on with normal shooting and cleaning regime. its nice to know they shoot same POI after full clean so i can hunt with a clean or dirty gun. so i zero, full clean, check zero then just do my normal thing

The only thing a clean patch tells you is that the patch is clean............you need a borescope to tell you the truth about the barrel.

Pete

9 hours ago, Re-Pete said:

The only thing a clean patch tells you is that the patch is clean............you need a borescope to tell you the truth about the barrel.

Pete

Too true , be careful of clean patches and then thinking it s clean . Let things soak a while then check again, possibly do another session with the brush you’ll be amazed how much more crap comes out . 
Got any borescope recommendations???

1 hour ago, Richiew said:

Too true , be careful of clean patches and then thinking it s clean . Let things soak a while then check again, possibly do another session with the brush you’ll be amazed how much more crap comes out . 
Got any borescope recommendations???

The only way to know how clean a barrel is is to use a borescope, these are well worth £100 or thereabouts.

https://teslong.com/collections/rifle-borescopes

Brian at Fox Firearms sells them, the image it sends to either my iPhone or iPad is as good as my proper £1000 Hawkeye borescope and it will record it all in HD. If your serious about your shooting you should have one.

No one can prove if a run-in/break-in procedure will make it last longer, clean easier or even shoot better. One barrel maker in the states I spoke to said, "shoot it until your finger bleeds then shoot some more and put it away".

What will make it shoot worse is lying on the firing point wondering if you did the correct break-in procedure or not when you should be wondering about the marksmanship principles.

In other words do what you think is right, whatever that is.

25 minutes ago, Mattnall said:

No one can prove if a run-in/break-in procedure will make it last longer, clean easier or even shoot better. One barrel maker in the states I spoke to said, "shoot it until your finger bleeds then shoot some more and put it away".

What will make it shoot worse is lying on the firing point wondering if you did the correct break-in procedure or not when you should be wondering about the marksmanship principles.

In other words do what you think is right, whatever that is.

a hearty plus one to that

Mattnall's comment is spot on.  If you didn't follow the barrel break-in procedure and for any reason your rifle isn't shooting as well as you would like, you will always think "What if?"  You won't be able to prove it one way or the other, of course, but following the correct break-in procedure will give you peace of mind.  Otherwise, you may find yourself wondering, for years afterwards, if you undermined your barrel's performance by being too hasty at the outset, and not taking the time to follow the procedure.

And unless you bolt the thing down to a block of concrete on the firing point, how can you be absolutely certain you're not having a bad day yourself?

There are so many variables in this game it's impossible to cater for all of them all the time...... just shoot, and then shoot some more.

Pete

• 1 month later...
On 6/9/2022 at 1:38 AM, Chris-NZ said:

My suggestion is to get the rigid WiFi version and just use your phone as the screen.

That is what I was thinking of too, but wondered if there were any known advantages/disadvantages between rigid or flex versions. Flex can deal with longer barrels and would be easier to stow but would rigid be easier to control in the barrel and more durable/long lasting etc.

Bob

A comment about durability- I have sitting on the back of the bench a dead Lyman borecam. A wire has clearly broken just out of the cam tube so it's basically a write-off as no spares available. I was very gentle with it, as with all important cables, but this one did little mileage :(