Strelok question.

Gents I took my brand new rifle to Bisley today to zero it is and carry on with barrel conditioning. I've got the rifle specifically to shoot at long range, so its got a 30moa rail on it.  However because of Bisley HME rules its simpler to shoot it at 200 yards or less until its all dialed in. So today I shot it on the electronics at a 100 and with the scope turned all the way down it produced a nice group, according the screen 3.0 moa high.  

So my question is do I now enter this as an offset into Strelok or estimate the zero value i can reach (about 270yards) and use this?

PS:  If youve never shot at Bisley there are a few hoops you have to jump through every time you shoot 4500J rifle, and everone seems to have a different interprEtation of them.

What is your definition of 'long range', what bullet are you using, and what MV does your combination produce?

For most conventional rifle ranges and kit combinations, 30-MOA is excessive unless you have one of the expensive super LR-scopes with a vast elevation adjustment range. Anything much over Barnard's 24-MOA taper rails will see the rifle shoot too high on its minimum elevation setting at 100 yards with scopes of 60 to 70 MOA adjustment ranges.

Even if the scope provides enough adjustment, that amount of taper is still often OTT as the ideal set-up sees your scope elevation close to the central adjustment point at its longest distance setting. (This provides the full nominal windage adjustment range.)    

I'd like to take it out to 2K (or as far as you can go at Orion/ Eskdalemuir), Its a 300PRC with 230g Bergers.

Not Chrono'ed it yet as its had a grand total of 15 rounds down the barrel so far.

I understand what you say about the elevation range, I think what I'll do is set it with a 100 yard zero even knowing i cant dial it down that far. I'll do it that was as I know my 300 600 900 1000 elevations for my 6.5CM, obviously one ive done my load development and its had a few more rounds through Ill get it chronoed by then I might have retired and I bought myself a March mini Genisis.

I personally don't find the HME process too bad, I see it as a free go on zero range. Just get to the office when it opens and head straight to zero for 8:00 and pop 3 shots into the generous target box. Then pop back to the office to get it signed and away you go...

I'd be inclined to use a 300y zero.

I'd like to take it out to 2K (or as far as you can go at Orion/ Eskdalemuir), Its a 300PRC with 230g Bergers.

Not Chrono'ed it yet as its had a grand total of 15 rounds down the barrel so far.

I understand what you say about the elevation range, I think what I'll do is set it with a 100 yard zero even knowing i cant dial it down that far. I'll do it that was as I know my 300 600 900 1000 elevations for my 6.5CM, obviously one ive done my load development and its had a few more rounds through Ill get it chronoed by then I might have retired and I bought myself a March mini Genisis.

Its just 3 in the box? I wouldn't be able to put one in the aimimng point without a bit of hold under, and as my scopes parallax doesnt go that close its not that simple!

Hmmmm, you have a problem!

Logically, the simple way out this conundrum to increase the scope adjustment range substantially, either by buying something on the lines of the March Genesis, or changing the rail to one with an inbuilt adjustable elevation facility - as commonly used by Ko2M and other mile-plus shooters.

I'd not presume to comment on the optimal / most cost-effective solution. You'd be better off contacting people in the ELR community who have experience in this field.

The other factor / question / solution is whether you intend to use the rifle at shorter distances, or once sorted will use it solely at long and ELR distances on non-MoD regulated venues. If the latter, find a non-MoD regulated range that will let you get a zero / load-test in at say 500 yards without HME. 

Once Ive sorted a load out I doubt it will ever see Century range again!

I reckon it costs at least twice as much a trigger pull than my 6.5CM which happily shoots out to 1200yards with no HME issues. However I have an itch to shoot 1 mile plus, its a vanity thing I guess, i just want to say ive hit at 1 mile (without mentioning the number of misses it took to get there!) and what better way to spend my daughters inheritance in my declining years.

thanks for tha advice laurie

The box is about 4.5 mil above the aiming mark on the hme zero target...

If your scope doesn't parallax down to 71'7" then you can get an objective cover and drill a hole in it which decreases the aperture so that it'll be less fuzzy. Besides you literally only have to get the shots in the box, tight grouping is actually frowned upon, they need to see 3 discernable shots.

As far as load testing goes, does it matter if your group is a few inches above the aiming mark?

10 minutes ago, Mat said:

The box is about 4.5 mil above the aiming mark on the hme zero target...

If your scope doesn't parallax down to 71'7" then you can get an objective cover and drill a hole in it which decreases the aperture so that it'll be less fuzzy. Besides you literally only have to get the shots in the box, tight grouping is actually frowned upon, they need to see 3 discernable shots.

As far as load testing goes, does it matter if your group is a few inches above the aiming mark?

I like the hole idea.. Im there again on Saturday so i might give it a try.