Absolutely gutted !

Well I’ve really done it this time !!

I very recently bought a second hand spikes tactical ST22, AR15 style .22 semi auto. 

it was pretty much  bog standard and I spent some decent money buying some parts from Brownells which just got delivered today. 

money of the bits was a new handguard and when I tried to take the old one off, it looks like I have twisted the upper receiver in the vice. I didn’t realise it wasn’t sitting square. Seems it twisted right below the dust cover area so the pin below doesn’t close when putting back together. The pin at the rear is fine though. 

really don’t know what my options are now. 

You need a two part plastic upper receiver clamp to hold the upper for this task , easy mistake to make ,I guess uppers aren’t overly expensive and they don’t have a number on them so no bother with paperwork 

27 minutes ago, Aggy said:

You need a two part plastic upper receiver clamp to hold the upper for this task , easy mistake to make ,I guess uppers aren’t overly expensive and they don’t have a number on them so no bother with paperwork 

This is the exact answer I’ve been looking for. Serial is on the lower so I was hoping this was the case. 

I don’t suppose you have an idea where I can find this clamp do you ? 

any ideas where I could buy a receiver from ? 

thanks

craig 

I think they are in pretty short supply at the moment ,could try 

Valkyrie rifles ,Dave builds belting AR’s 

lantac

north west custom parts 

black rifle 

Brownells 

there are many to try 

11 hours ago, Aggy said:

I think they are in pretty short supply at the moment ,could try 

Valkyrie rifles ,Dave builds belting AR’s 

lantac

north west custom parts 

black rifle 

Brownells 

there are many to try 

I’ve spoke with NWCP about a new receiver and was told that all uppers, lowers and bolts need to be serial numbered now and proofed. 

Looks like this is maybe not an option now as a simple purchase of a receiver and swap parts over. 

If this is the case then I am thinking I can keep the lower as that is what has the serial number that is on my licence and ask a RFD to purchase a new upper that I have found on Brownells and be sent to them. I can send down my rifle and then it can be dismantled and reassembled and then off to proof. The RFD can then scrap the old upper and nothing changes on the licence. 

once Dave emails back I will ask about this. 

if anyone has any other thoughts or options, I am open to anything. 

The bolt and barrel are proofed but I have never ever seen a number on an upper , including the spikes st22 I had ,think I have had seven AR’s now ,definitely none had numbers 

1 minute ago, Aggy said:

The bolt and barrel are proofed but I have never ever seen a number on an upper , including the spikes st22 I had ,think I have had seven AR’s now ,definitely none had numbers 

Yeah mate likewise, my old spikes didn’t have it nor does the one I have recently bought have. only the lower. 

Serialising everything might have to do with recent export/import requirements?!

When I had my last rifle brought over from that US (Impact 737 with MPA chassis, Proof barrels etc), before it left the US I had to have both bolts, receiver, all barrels, MPA chassis, muzzle brake and I think even the TT diamond trigger, laser engraved with serial number & unique part number.

I thought it was a bit OTT at the time, but the importer said they’d had parts not get through customs without the serials. How true that is, I don’t know, but I didn’t want to risk my rifle and stuff being seized. 

Don't even bother the certification department with this, they don't need to know your gun broke or that it is getting fixed, no numbers will change. It shouldn't need to be proofed either.

The new law states that upper and lowers on new build rifles much be serialised (and other bits too) but as this is a repair it won't matter and you current upper isn't serialised anyway.

SGC has numbered some of their uppers in the past (the number is on the inside mating surface so not seen from the outside) and since about the date we left the EU we have had to serialise bolts, carriers, uppers, lowers and barrels - doesn't have to be the same number across the set but that often helps. It's why the FAC Table1 has a much bigger box now for the description of the firearm and components.