UKV - The Place for Precision Rifle Enthusiasts

What to do with a Match 54 action

ColinBR

Ok so bit of a dilema

I have a Anschutz 1813 match 54 rifle sitting here, (it was my fathers) and was originally going to sell it on as either a full rifle, or split it up into barrelled action, stock, and accessories. 

I got thinking last night though that maybe it would be worth while turning it into a semi custom of sorts.

Its easily had 150-200k rounds through it as my old man was always competing and practicing with it. 

Has anyone dome something similar, or would I be best just selling it on?

Thanks

I'm guessing you're not a .22 prone shooter, so if you keep just the barrelled action you still have a big pile of stuff to sell like sights, stock, butt hook, sling etc., it might be easier to sell as a job lot, it might be a good starter package for someone. The stock by itself should be sellable and depending on how modern the accessories are they may or may not sell (you'd getter a better audience/advice at the Stirton forum).

If you want to turn it to a benchrest, you could see how the barrel performs before you rebarrel it, unless it's just too unwieldy, shortening it might be an option, though I gather they're choked i.e. slightly tighter bore at the end. Barrels are pinned in, so not quite the same as your average fullbore, but I imagine it's not too onerous to rebarrel.

3 hours ago, Trigger73 said:

I have the same rifle, I opted for a one off benchrest stock for it.  Which stock does it have? 

20200628_120930.jpg

It has a target based stock on it just now. 

IMG_20220226_160735.jpg

5 hours ago, Mat said:

I'm guessing you're not a .22 prone shooter, so if you keep just the barrelled action you still have a big pile of stuff to sell like sights, stock, butt hook, sling etc., it might be easier to sell as a job lot, it might be a good starter package for someone. The stock by itself should be sellable and depending on how modern the accessories are they may or may not sell (you'd getter a better audience/advice at the Stirton forum).

If you want to turn it to a benchrest, you could see how the barrel performs before you rebarrel it, unless it's just too unwieldy, shortening it might be an option, though I gather they're choked i.e. slightly tighter bore at the end. Barrels are pinned in, so not quite the same as your average fullbore, but I imagine it's not too onerous to rebarrel.

No I'm not a prone shooter, though used to do it in my youth as a Cadet. 

The barrel was still very capable when last used, but it is a rather heavy beast, so rebarrelling was something I was considering. 

Yes the barrels are choked. 

The stock looks in good shape, I'm fairly sure you'd have no problems selling it. Sights look original, I doubt they're worth anything.

If it's a benchrest setup then weight shouldn't be an issue. As a sporter, I reckon other options would be better.

They’re lovely rifles 

They can be converted to repeater which I plan to do with mine once I’ve worked out a few things 

Value - many about for 200-400 and newer ones are upwards of 700

Replacement Anchutz barrel could be fitted if accuracy failing due to rust (which is the main killer of these barrels ) 

if it’s of sentimental value then keep it original 

1 hour ago, Ronin said:

They’re lovely rifles 

They can be converted to repeater which I plan to do with mine once I’ve worked out a few things 

Value - many about for 200-400 and newer ones are upwards of 700

Replacement Anchutz barrel could be fitted if accuracy failing due to rust (which is the main killer of these barrels ) 

if it’s of sentimental value then keep it original 

Sentimental value would be gained by keeping it shooting and being enjoyed. Prone shooting is not something I enjoy anymore. 

Sounds very interesting on the repeating action modification. Could be interested in that. 

When I have the spare time I will get on with mine - time something I don’t have a great deal spare though due to client work and other commitments 

14 minutes ago, Ronin said:

When I have the spare time I will get on with mine - time something I don’t have a great deal spare though due to client work and other commitments 

Yes your a busy man Andy 

On 3/1/2022 at 5:06 PM, Mat said:

The stock looks in good shape, I'm fairly sure you'd have no problems selling it. Sights look original, I doubt they're worth anything.

If it's a benchrest setup then weight shouldn't be an issue. As a sporter, I reckon other options would be better.

Weight is an issue with bench rest. A Light Varmint (LV) class rifle can weigh no more than 10.5lbs (4.762kg) and a Heavy Varmint (HV) class rifle no more than 15lbs (6.803kg). The barrel will be the bulk of the rifles weight. The weight includes sights/tuners and anything else attached to the rifle.

However even the LV category is easily achieved with selective scope choice and custom made stocks. Gary Cane makes some super light bench rest stocks. If you are not going to compete then weight is totally irrelevant.

Fair enough, I know next to nothing about benchrest!

I forget what rules there are for .22 prone, but unless it's ISSF sanctioned, no one checks much if at all. I'm pretty sure my aluminium stocked Anschutz is over 6.5Kg but I wouldn't consider it heavy :)

Ok guys

Bit of an update. I've decided that by the time I rebarrelled the action, and put it in a new stock it wouldn't be worth my while. 

I've given the barrelled action to someone on here who has guided me through a few things in regards to builds, and he will be able to make something with it I'm sure. 

I will sell the stock and accessories seperately.