223 / 204 Question Please

Varmint_Dude

Hi folks, 

I have the opportunity to purchase a Howa 1500 .223 with a 1/12 twist. Great rifle for a great price. 

He said it shoots the 53gr V-Max super accurately and 55 gr Sako Gameheads. 

My permissions allow for safe shots out to 400 yards max on crows, rabbits, fox. It will not be used for deer.

I originally wanted to purchase a 204 but then this 223 came along and will save me a lot of money? 

Thanks in advance for your reply. 

If its proven to be accurate I would say buy it and dont look back.

In the real world there isnt much between the two calibers ballistically, especially if you shoot 40gr bullets from the .223. Getting your wind or distance wrong or bad shooting technique will result in more misses than choosing what might be considered the wrong caliber of the two.

I shoot a Tikka CTR in .223 using 40gr Vmax, I have 2 mates that have the .204both rifles are very capable, but I choose .223 over .204 because of the availability of ammunition 

and the versatility of the calibre, mine is 1:8 twist and it shoot's 40Vmax just fine Despite everyone saying otherwise, it is my go to foxing round because it's cheap to load for and odes the job great, but should I want to go and do a bit of long distance it also shoots 77TMK's just as well, If you look at the choice of the Bullet alone if you reload, then really it's a no brainer, My friend has had 39 Blitzkings on order now for getting on 4 months with no sign of any turning up, but .there is  plenty of .223 about even if it's not quite what you want.

both great rounds, but .223 is more practical than the .204 in my opinion.

Got both, only home load so supplies not a problem for components. Really like the .204 for fox, but if i could only have one it would be a .223 as more versatile - range and field use. Running costs for home loads the same, .204 good for reduced loads = .17hmr in cost with better performance.

i think if your going to be shooting foxy the 22 bullets will be more suitable and will penetrate a bit deeper with 50 / 55 grain bullets . The .20cal 39 grain etc bullets are designed for smaller quarry and do explode faster / hence not penetrate as much as the 22 cal bullets . its a bit like when ppl say ill use 17 hmr for fox i kinda wince ! from personal experience the 22 cal is better . but if your only shooting a few fox per year then id go 20 . i dont hunt fox but will shoot if they present a shot with a .20practical but i only head shoot in the past at realistic ranges so at most i may kill 3 fox per year all on sheep pastures etc . The .20 cal for crows is just soo good as the bullets expand that much more its like the perfect caliber , but then again a 17 rem is also great for crow destruction ... but good luck hope you get sorted )) 

Of all these small caliber guns the .223 with a quality 8" twist barrel is by far the most versatile and cost effective in terms of barrel life IMO.

It will run bullets from 40gr to the 77g TMKs which is everything you will ever need for anything from night time with a thermal to 600yd rabbits in reasonable conditions.

If I wanted a bit more in .22 then it would be a .22BR and after that I would go bigger caliber. Something like an 8" twist .22 Middlestead or .22x47 can be a phenomenal vermin gun but the barrel life will be shorter than my Grannies memory.

On 3/1/2022 at 9:35 PM, One on top of two said:

I see Sako have finished chambering rifles in .204 

Ha ha like the pun . Anyhow very happy with my 223 just shot my longest fox at 212 yards using the drone pro on a very windy night and hardly adjusted for wind . All my loads are working well from 55 , 60 , and the best at 73 grain from a tikka t3x 1-8” twist . Usually it’s easier to stick with standard calibres as parts for reloading will be in stock and if not factory ammo is available . Enjoy whatever you settle on 

cheers 

• 1 month later...

204 will drop less and drift less than 223 but sub 300 yards there is very little difference.  Personally I very rarely shoot at 300.  I found that my 22.250 tended to hit harder than my 20BR,  but dead is dead,  just less spatter.  

A

• 4 weeks later...
22 hours ago, Duster31 said:

Iv run both side by side and tbh I would not have a 204 again the 223 does every thing the 223 does but offers a lot more 

+1.

I have both and found the same. 20 Practical as nice as it is will go as need to tighten belt.  A 223 will do the same and more. I will see how i get on without it before deciding on another 20 cal or not.  

As for performance a 53gr hornady v max will match any 40gr .204 at the same velocity like for like.

I have both. If the 223 you've got the option on is a good deal for a good rifle (and not excessive round count etc) I'd get it. There's little to choose between them.

I had the same Howa you are looking at, It was 2nd hand, it also loved 55gr sako game head and home load 50gr blitz kings. got on well with fox and crows with BK and Roe with game heads Never owned a 204 (friends have). I think it has been summed up well as the 223 being a good choice, Its easy to load for and ammo off the shelf is ........ I presume, still is easy to find.

Be confident the rifle is proven to shoot well.....Im sure it is but test it if you can if your not sure.

Oh and I posted the trigger unit to Mike Norris and it came back sweet as a nut with a lighter requested pull, Well worth doing

Good luck

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/27/2022 at 8:38 PM, gunner said:

i think if your going to be shooting foxy the 22 bullets will be more suitable and will penetrate a bit deeper with 50 / 55 grain bullets . The .20cal 39 grain etc bullets are designed for smaller quarry and do explode faster / hence not penetrate as much as the 22 cal bullets . its a bit like when ppl say ill use 17 hmr for fox i kinda wince ! from personal experience the 22 cal is better . but if your only shooting a few fox per year then id go 20 . i dont hunt fox but will shoot if they present a shot with a .20practical but i only head shoot in the past at realistic ranges so at most i may kill 3 fox per year all on sheep pastures etc . The .20 cal for crows is just soo good as the bullets expand that much more its like the perfect caliber , but then again a 17 rem is also great for crow destruction ... but good luck hope you get sorted )) 

I my experience the 20 cal 39gr SBK and a 55 gr NBT ( in a 22.250)  will both go straight through unless its a front on bib shot.   Killed 2 foxes one evening with a 39 SBK,  by accident admittedly.  Through the front ones boiler room sideways on just as another one ran past the back of it,  through that ones neck as well  both instant kills. 

A

• 3 weeks later...

Another  vote for the venerable .223.  Most versatile rifle in my gun cabinet and still relatively inexpensive to load for.  I use a 1/8 twist for a wider variety of bullets.  Shoots everything from 50gr to 77 gr without complaint.  40's not so well...jackets a little too thin for 1/8 twist.  They tend to come out in bits!