Deer legal 44 mag loads

Scrumbag

Well folks,

In a bizzare fixation I have, I believe I should have hunting loads worked useable in all rifles.

This includes a hunting load for my 20" barrel .44 mag Chiappa Alaskan.

I think I have a lead load which should work:

raNYXCJ.jpg

That's at 50 yds and is a Nosler 240gr JSP over N110, PPU brass and a Federal Large Pistol Primer. (Data start point came from Viht and their 240gr JTC-Sil load).

The load I have with this should give me a bit over the magic ME of 1,700 ftlbs (240gr bullet at MV 1,787fps should do it) according to GRT with about 45fps to spare. (Man I need to spring for my own Chronograph). Hopefully I can reproduce the load above (Last time I tried either my shooting was off, crimp was wrong or was just a crappy day at the range and nothing seemed to work). Anyway, new batch loaded and a full crimp applied.

lw8IE1Gl.jpg

Anyway, with non-lead bullets seeming to be more and more of a thing these days, I wondered if I could get something in non-lead to work.

This became a bit interesting as 44 mag has limited powder capacity and because it is a straight wall case, a longer bullet really eats up useable case capacity in a big way. (See photo below). So, I started trying to find a 44 cal non-lead bullet which would work. First choice seemed to be Barnes and their 200gr XPB but that is apparently unobtainium so back to the drawing board.

Peregrine bullets are getting into making non-lead bullets for the .44 cal so I purchased some of the lighter options:

hOf02Jel.jpg

Left - 180gr Hog (Check out that as the definition of flying ashtray).

Centre - Nosler 240gr JSP (for comparison)

Right - 205gr VRG3

So, according to the software (big assumption I know) I should be able to get both of those bullets going fast enough to make the 1,700ftlb requirement.

180gr Hog should do it with N105 and the VRG3 should work best with Lil'gun.

Luckily enough I should be able to collect both powders on Sunday. Then the loading fun begins.

And I still need to get a chronograph of my own...

Scrummy

• 1 year later...

Hi, I’m trying to achieve the same results as you. How did you get on and  were you successful, if so would it be possible to ask for your reloading data. I have a Winchester 94 AE with a 23 inch barrel and want it for close woodland, primarily for Roe and muntjac. 

Nice rifle by the way. 

thanks . 

• 3 weeks later...