Rifle Cleaning

levelplaying

Have for a number of years been cleaning my rifle barrels with KG1 and KG12 products using the suggested cleaning routine.

However much time I spend cleaning, I always get carbon residue on my patches. I probably run my rifle rod through the bore for both Carbon and Copper solvent no less than 150 strokes on each. It comes to the point that I loose the will and have to be content that my patches are never as clean as I would like them. How meticulous should I be. Should I persevere until there is no sign of carbon or be satisfied that there is some. I sometimes feel that I might be doing more damage than good.

In addition, I notice some very small metal particles on the patches.

Any advice or recommendations.

Thank You

4 minutes ago, levelplaying said:

Have for a number of years been cleaning my rifle barrels with KG1 and KG12 products using the suggested cleaning routine.

However much time I spend cleaning, I always get carbon residue on my patches. I probably run my rifle rod through the bore for both Carbon and Copper solvent no less than 150 strokes on each. It comes to the point that I loose the will and have to be content that my patches are never as clean as I would like them. How meticulous should I be. Should I persevere until there is no sign of carbon or be satisfied that there is some. I sometimes feel that I might be doing more damage than good.

In addition, I notice some very small metal particles on the patches.

Any advice or recommendations.

Thank You

do you use a brush?  I use nylon brushes with cleaning fluid, I use Patch Out Tactical Advantage.  The black sh&t isn't necessarily carbon but powder residues.

My routine is to push a soaked cotton patch through first to take out the loose; 30 scrubs with nylon (15 each way) with fluid;  patch the loose sh&t out with one pass of a wet patch;  let it sit for 15mins for the fluid to do its work then patch out dry.  Normally about four patches,  send one through with oil, patch out twice dry - done.

Once every now and again, two passes of bronze brush and a patch added to the above before the nylon brush.  Then copper remover and leave for 30 mins  minimum.   Maybe once every 500 rounds a scrub with bore shine polish after the main clean, copper clean and then followed by solvent spray and patch to get it all out followed by lube etc

2,700 x .308 rounds down the same tube and its still single hole group capable at 100yds.

Metal particles on the patch sounds a bit worrying to me.

I use a nylon brush. Reluctant to use a bronze brush.

I generally run some carbon remover with a patch or two. Then copper remover (many brush strokes and patches)  leaving it to soak, then carbon remover, again leaving it soak and many patches later.

However much I clean, the patch after maybe 150 strokes looks nearly as dirty as the first.!!

Barrel looks okay using a cheap Chinese bore scope, but am concerned about the very small  not quite microscopic metal flakes.

17 minutes ago, levelplaying said:

I use a nylon brush. Reluctant to use a bronze brush.

I generally run some carbon remover with a patch or two. Then copper remover (many brush strokes and patches)  leaving it to soak, then carbon remover, again leaving it soak and many patches later.

However much I clean, the patch after maybe 150 strokes looks nearly as dirty as the first.!!

Barrel looks okay using a cheap Chinese bore scope, but am concerned about the very small  not quite microscopic metal flakes.

Clean the residues and carbon then copper remover, it works chemically so it needs time to act,  apply - soak - patch out.  There should be no need to scrub it.

Ive been using kg for ages . And had clean patches very quickly . Last clean I did after 200 rounds took over 2 1/2 hours before the blue came through meaning that all the carbons gone and now the coppers getting shifted  . I was effing knackered . Went back to shooters choice solvent to give the barrel a good clean . I will send the brush from chamber to muzzle then take it off and repeat . Accuracy has massively improved back to normal level. Looking down the barrel it was so much mor polished . You can tell how dirty the bore is by how hard it is to push the bronze brush through . Start with oil or clp and patch the crap out regularly . Then work on cleaning the last of the carbon . Forrest bore foam is also recommended in the accuracy international manual along with kg products and shooters choice solvent . Don’t stop after a few clean patches there’s still more crap in there. 
Hope this is useful 

I believe the subject cleaning rifles is very personal and does not have an absolute answer, most folks agree a bore guide is essential after that it is down to what works for you and your rifles.

Also your attitude to cleaning i.e. scrub the snot out of the bore every time to use the rifle, even if just one round is fired or a more result/inspection driven approach will drive your method. 

There are some very good chemicals available now, how they are used will effect their efficiency - down to you to find out.

Personally I seldom now use a brush, if I do it is nylon (like the blue Flitz items). Apply and remove solvents etc. with the VFG felts.

Think using a bronze brush with a copper solvent is chasing you tail - will the solvent not show blue as it is trying to dissolve the bronze brush?  - but here there I go questioning some else's method = I'm wrong to do so, it's your method! :).

Bore scopes are now cheap and a very helpful tool.

T