Does anyone have or could recommend a Torque Screwdriver Kit??

chaz

As above, I'm after an adjustable torque screwdriver set.  I did see a nice Draper Expert set (1 to 5 Nm) on Amazon, but they're out of stock. 1 to 5 NM, which according to Vortex, (If the video was correct??) needs to be 50 inch pounds for the bases. And 18 inch pounds, so should be ok.

I could buy one off FleaBay, but that site tends to be flooded with cheap poor quality Chinese copies.

Anyhow, if someone has a good low use set for a reasonable price or can recommend a new decent set below £90 I'd appreciate it.

All constructive advice appreciated.

Cheers.

Chaz.

Spuhr mounts are 4.5 nm mount to picatinny rail and about 2.9 nm for the scope rings torque. Kennedy tools do a good adjustable one 1-5 nm . Think your numbers are a bit ott . Fix it sticks are nice tho . Check them out and their range too to see if the figures are in the right ball park. 

The figures of 1 to 5 N·m (Newton metres) converts to about 8.9 to 44.3 lbf·in (pound-force inches, aka inch-pounds or pound-inches depending on your preference).

Conversely 18 and 50 lbf·in respectively convert to 2.0 and 5.6 N·m. As such the Draper Expert tool set mentioned is just out of the required torque range.

Personally I have a Wheeler Fat Wrench, which covers a 10-65 lbf·in (1.1 to 7.3 N·m) torque range, plus a load of other tools that were hangovers from being a cyclist.

13 hours ago, Richiew said:

Spuhr mounts are 4.5 nm mount to picatinny rail and about 2.9 nm for the scope rings torque. Kennedy tools do a good adjustable one 1-5 nm . Think your numbers are a bit ott . Fix it sticks are nice tho . Check them out and their range too to see if the figures are in the right ball park. 

You're right Richiew,

I've corrected it. 1 to 5 Nm would be just the job.

Thanks for pointing that out.

Chaz.

8 minutes ago, ntg said:

There's way more to getting a correctly set fastener as any competent engineer should know.  

Buy a cheap tool and regret it,  spend on quality tools (not shooting supplies branded Chinese tat) and learn about correct lubrication.  This last item makes huge differences to the compression joint force - way more than the tolerance of cheaper tools.  Torque is an indirect measure of the compression force in the fastener - that's the important clamping force we are trying to achieve.

Spuhr for example provide ready prepared fasteners so as to ensure a correctly set joint - adding oil would greatly increase the clamping force for a given torque setting, possibly damaging the scope tube etc

Sorry my bad, I was just trying to point the original message poster to some information that may have been useful.

Did a bit digging on other products mentioned in this post and this is what I can find.

Wheeler FAT wrench manufactured in China comes with calibration sheet (wheeler’s website says The FAT Wrench Bits are built to last and are made from S2 tool steel and hardened to 56-56 Rockwell “C”.) £79.95 @ Optics Warehouse (I bought the digital version of this and hated it, a friend has the manual one and thinks it great)

Vortex torque wrench manufactured in Taiwan comes with calibration sheet (I think it’s also covered by the Vortex lifetime warranty.) £96.95 @ Optics Warehouse

The fix it sticks website say that all Fix It Sticks products are designed, engineered and tested in Chicago, IL and manufactured to exacting standards at high-end facilities in Taiwan. (recommended by Spuhr and sold on the Spuhr website) I think the cheapest way to cover the 18 and 50 inch pounds would be to buy 3 separate items 1 x wrench and 2 x small torque limiters (3 x £42) total £126 @ fixitsticks.com

Wera torque tools manufactured in Bystřice Czech Republic and calibrated in Wuppertal Germany again I think the cheapest way to cover the 18 and 50 inch pounds would be to buy the Series 7400 Kraftform adjustable torque screwdriver (1.2-3.0 Nm) £68.95 and the Series 7400 Kraftform pistol grip, adjustable torque screwdriver (4.0-8.8 Nm) £100 total £168.95 both are available on amazon uk

So the 3 other products are all shooting supplies branded Chinese tat and only one of them comes within the £90 pound budget. So it looks like the best advice would be to save up some extra cash and learn about lubrication.

Disclaimer, I’m not an engineer or have I ever claimed to be one and I’m certainly no expert on lubrication. :) 

1 hour ago, ntg said:

Sorry my bad, I was just trying to point the original message poster to some information that may have been useful.

So the 3 other products are all shooting supplies branded Chinese tat and only one of them comes within the £90 pound budget. So it looks like the best advice would be to save up some extra cash and learn about lubrication.

Disclaimer, I’m not an engineer or have I ever claimed to be one and I’m certainly no expert on lubrication. :) 

😁 No offence or criticism was intended, these pesky forums are not the best means of communication sometimes (well, by me at least..),  just chucking in a view.  Price is an indicator of quality but sometimes branding gets in the way!  Good research btw

I do recommend people learn and understand the limits and methods of correct torque tightening -  lube is often ignored and it's way more important than the tolerance of tools (we could go into soft vs hard joints and time/relaxation etc but it's all on the interweb).

£159.64

(Inc VAT)

pack of 1

IN STOCK (11)

This is what we use and is a recommended part from Siemens on our analyser injection valves . Analysers typically 300 k  . Nice it of kit but pricey . Also available in Nm  . Very reliable and repeatable . Buy once cry once etc 

cheers 

20 hours ago, Popsbengo said:

😁 No offence or criticism was intended, these pesky forums are not the best means of communication sometimes (well, by me at least..),  just chucking in a view.  Price is an indicator of quality but sometimes branding gets in the way!  Good research btw

I do recommend people learn and understand the limits and methods of correct torque tightening -  lube is often ignored and it's way more important than the tolerance of tools (we could go into soft vs hard joints and time/relaxation etc but it's all on the interweb).

No worries, I know exactly what you mean about forums. I've already put the Wera torque tools on my shopping list and have lost several hours today reading articles talking about initial preload, relaxation and residual preload.😊

Hi folks,

What do you think of the FIRSTINFO torque screw drivers? They look very similar to the Vortex one just cheaper... It also comes with the test calibration certificate stating all is good. If i were to trust it that is..??

Here's the link.....

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07GYQDDYY/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=A17G7YVID2D72Q&psc=1

Constructive thoughts appreciated....

Had the Wheeler set (analog) for years, 0-70in-lbs covers most gun-related needs. Don´t like Wheeler hex bits, those seem to get damaged easily, so I wouldn´t buy the kit again. But the torque tool itslef serves me well.