CSR shooting

Frederick

The calibre won't matter. You'll need at least two 10 round mags, preferably more. 

Know your drops at 100,200,300,400,500 as well as 75, 50 and 25 yards.

Don't expect to hit the target with all your shots for quite a while and don't feel bad not being able to hold a 4MOA 5 ring at 100 yards, because it's a 3 second exposure, standing, unsupported. 

Apart from that, just enjoy it.

For the course it will only be 100 & 200

If you are willing to take the plunge just register for the monthly league matches, tell them you are new and they will squad you with an experienced shooter. Read the handbook, learn the rules and the course of fire can be printed off from the entry page online. It's the best way to learn.

1 minute ago, Frederick said:

Thanks Roy W .

I have fitted weights to the forend of my 6.5cm to help tame any muzzle flip . The scope is large mag and therefore heavy as I shoot prone and bench .

Assume it's better to keep the weight down for standing shots ( it's about 15lb ish at present ).

If you ask 100 people, you'll get 100 answers. 

It depends what you find manageable and comfortable.

You need to be able to shoot prone, sitting, kneeling and standing and jog between firing points carrying the rifle.

Just have a go and see how you get on

People shoot it with AI Rifles and 5-25 S&B's and seem to manage and they aren't lightweights.

Have a practice in the garage holding it, coming up for 3 secs, then back to 45 degrees and see how it feels, do it 10 times.

Welcome to CSR, I hope. It's a hoot and will improve your skills into the bargain.

For starting out, just use what you've got. I started out with my 243Win deer rifle.

Don't need expensive ammo, it's a waste. 

Muzzle brake can help tame recoil for positional shooting without much weight, assuming muzzle is threaded. Mod works but usually heavier, longer, expensive consumable and heat=mirage.

Practice deploying your bipod for practical class (has to be folded at start of practice unless starting prone.

Broadly speaking, lower mag scope is better than higher. It's tempting to crank mag up for prone stages but this can lead to cross lane shooting, particularly on "moving" target stages.

NRA can rent out a suitable firearm, I believe.

You'll find your fellow competitors will be glad to help you along. 

As mentioned above the best way to get involved with CSR is to enter the next match. Feb's is a good one to enter, the CQB/Urban Contact match is always fun and most never shoot below 100yds, this match will take you down to 25yds.

The Skills Course is also worth it and it will give you an heads-up on what to expect at a match. It'll also give you some practice at a sample of a few stages in a typical match. These are NRA run by staffed by CSR shooters so any questions you may have can be answered from an experienced view point. We'd love to see on the next course, 12th March is the next one I believe (the last one was Saturday just gone).

Rifles are available for hire for the course and the matches from the NRA if you feel your 6.5 is too much.

• 3 weeks later...

good evening, could one of the crs shooters pass me the contact details and some more information as to what is involved,cost etc is this something for some one my age ,64 this year is is it more a younger persons sport? thank you

41 minutes ago, banus02 said:

good evening, could one of the crs shooters pass me the contact details and some more information as to what is involved,cost etc is this something for some one my age ,64 this year is is it more a younger persons sport? thank you

found the informationand contact details on the bisley pages, i will go through them. thank you.

On 2/11/2022 at 8:37 PM, banus02 said:

While some movement is involved, age is certainly not a barrier: there are many competitors older than you. 

Some have new hips and knees, some are waiting (one has just had a new hip in the last week or so.) 

Definitely not exclusively a "young person's" sport!

14 hours ago, Bangbangman said:

While some movement is involved, age is certainly not a barrier: there are many competitors older than you. 

Some have new hips and knees, some are waiting (one has just had a new hip in the last week or so.) 

good afternoon ,thank you .

On 2/12/2022 at 10:42 PM, Bangbangman said:

I would say it is a young person's sport done by old people. If I was younger and fitter I'd get by easier but it is a great sport and seems to keep the older shooters going.

Not many other things would get me out in the wind and rain on a cold January morning, especially when I'm expected to lie down in the long grass too.