MOA Bases on Rem 700 actions

DaveT

Just trying to make sure I have not misled myself!

I believe from having measured my sons Rem 700 action that the front of the action is higher than the rear.

So....if I install a 20 moa base am I really getting 20 moa lift at the rear because the rail should be sized at the rear to account for the front to back action height difference PLUS 20MOA or am I simply compensating in part for the action height range.

I ask this because I bought the rifle for my son some years back but didn't seem to have the scope elevation range that I would have expected and had to buy an incline 1 piece mount with additional moa built in to get what I expected.

I cured the problem but the basic actionand  rail issue has always nagged at me!

Yes...I did fit the main rail the right way around!😁

1 hour ago, DaveT said:

Just trying to make sure I have not misled myself!

I believe from having measured my sons Rem 700 action that the front of the action is higher than the rear.

So....if I install a 20 moa base am I really getting 20 moa lift at the rear because the rail should be sized at the rear to account for the front to back action height difference PLUS 20MOA or am I simply compensating in part for the action height range.

I ask this because I bought the rifle for my son some years back but didn't seem to have the scope elevation range that I would have expected and had to buy an incline 1 piece mount with additional moa built in to get what I expected.

I cured the problem but the basic actionand  rail issue has always nagged at me!

Yes...I did fit the main rail the right way around!😁

If we accept that Rem know what they're doing and make actions to a standard then surely a rail, designed for the Rem 700 action and gives +20moa inclination, should be just that.  Correctly fitted this would give 20moa tilt.

It appears that there's a built-in height difference (see drawing) in the action as standard (as you have measured) and that should be 'mirrored' into the rail correct for the action.   A generic rail (not Remmy specific) would likely not have any built in compensation for the 700 action giving an error like you report; ie tilted up.  Also the fit would be awful.

Remington 700 action drawing (think it's long action).

Screenshot 2022-01-09 at 22.22.16.png

Pops....agreed that you would expect the rail to be fully compensated for the action dimensions.

It was supposed to be Remmy specific......it clearly wasn't even though the fit looked ok.

Thanks for the diagrams.

At least I know that I uncovered the issue correctly!😀