Moderator styles, over barrel vs muzzle mount

Hello.  I live in the USA and I have an interest in moderator/suppressors.  I have a ~20" sporter barrel 22-250.

I have been browsing us based forums for a while and figured I would "jump the pond" and see what I can learn here.

My hearing is already damaged from explosions, gunfire, and other loud noises, so shooting without ear-pro is not an option, especially with a 22-250.

I finally acquired a lathe, after years and years of needing/wanting one.  It's an old sheldon with solid bronze bearings.  It seems like a very nice lathe so far and I have been trying to decide what kind of suppressor I should build (just in the design stage right now).  I still have to get my tax stamp and all that crazy stuff to be able to make it.

I originally wanted to do an over barrel design to reduce added length and help with any bumps, but people here say they are not very good at reducing sound and add a lot of weight.

A threaded together design appeals to me so I can clean/service it.  I have no problem welding, but would prefer to thread it since warping will be an issue.

Diameter is wide open at this point because it is a scoped rifle, but I understand that bigger baffles have to hold back more gas and need to be stronger.

Any guidance or advice is appreciated, since I don't have any experience in this area.  The information I have found so far is mixed and often vague.

The goal is hearing safe and not stupid heavy, it's a hunting rifle.  I wouldn't want more than 7-8" in front of the muzzle.

• 1 month later...

Hi Buddy,

I have spent a lot of time and money on suppressors over the last 20 years. If you want an effective suppressor the muzzle forward design is your best option. Your best bet is to buy one from one of the many excellent manufacturers you have in the US. They have years of experience and have done the R&D.

Kind regards 

Nick

Agreed with above, many good moderator manufacturers your side.

Dont look at over barrel designs (reflex) because they can corrode the barrel. Also, if you plan to use the same moderator on several rifles, unless the barrels are the same contour, the rear bushing of the moderator won’t work out. 

Personally, given the paperwork and tax stamp, I’d look at end of barrel moderators that attach to the muzzle via an attachment (eg muzzle brake & moderator attachment) - especially if each of your rifles have different muzzle threads.

Given the cost/hassle of mods in the US, get several muzzle attachments for each of your rifles and you can easily share the moddy on all your guns.

With the above in mind, I’d look into Thunderbeast Arms (Ultra 7 and Ultra 9) and SilencerCo (Omega). Each also have the muzzle attachments you can buy.