HBN bullet coating

srvet

I am getting to the end of my moly coated bullets (bought with a coating in place)  and am looking at HBN as a possible successor. What are peoples impressions of HBN - is it worthwhile, does it improve cold bore accuracy and barrel life or is it a waste of time? 

I use it in hopes of prolonged barrel life in 6mm and others where I use double-based powder.

The problem being how can you measure that with any degree of 'science'?

For certain your barrel will not foul anywhere near as much as with bare bullets and I see no cold bore shots but on this latter point many believe its a 'cold shooter' issue!

It is very easy to apply without mess and a tiny bit goes a very long way.

Srvet....happy to let you have some HBN for trials but posting 'white powder' might be a tad chancy!😁

2 hours ago, DaveT said:

Srvet....happy to let you have some HBN for trials but posting 'white powder' might be a tad chancy!😁

Ha ha thats very kind but I agree that a little white baggy might be a bit suspicious!! Where did you get yours from? 

I use factory coated 6mm 115grn DTAC's in my 6x47, and I've coated various other bullets myself........it does reduce fouling, and also reduces MV a bit, so there is some reduction in friction.

As to whether or not it's worth it as far as achieving smaller groups are concerned, the jury's out........suck it and see, it won't do any harm.

Pete

Hi Pete..

I'm all for shooters trying these things if there's something to gain or save..

Winning in the wind is Keith Glasscocks series of videos.

He covers lots of different things/procedures he does for F class shooting. 

These American shooters get through alot of bullets compared to us..

This HBN coating may work well for other disciplines but it doesn't appear to work in f class 🤔.

Atb NID