I picked up a Bergara B14R 22LR rifle from C2Precision a couple of weeks ago.

9832F871-5329-470E-AF84-B8328449B09C.jpg

It's intended to mimic my PRS rifle (see pic above), as a "trainer" and for PRS22 comps. Might get used for the odd rabbit. Has same chassis, rail, grip and trigger as its bigger brother.

Had a chance to stretch its legs out to 262m. Have to say I'm impressed with it. Bolt closure was a bit stiff/notchy but has been smoothed-out with some gentle fettling and break-in.

Anyone else like to shoot rimfire at "long range"? Do you think the concept of a 22LR "trainer" is valid or flawed to the point of useless? (Either way, it's good, cheap fun!)

Video of the antics.

https://youtu.be/X_Oxv9o2RbM

BBM,

There are a few LR 22rf comps around, I attended a couple and was good fun and a bit of a challenge. furthest distance was 500 yards.

Having your 22rf and CF configured the same makes sense especially if you are going to do any positional shooting e.g. the 'PR' shoots.

22rf top , 6mm Dasher below, 22rf has adjustable mount to go to the longer ranges

22rf.thumb.jpg.e987d33e8bb2b5884613740ad9aa46a8.jpg

6mm.thumb.jpg.286810b09a50a7962278bcae4774725d.jpg

I would not put 22rf as a 'trainer' as such, takes just as much effort to shoot them as well as the CF's - only advantage is its cheaper and there are more venues.

• 1 month later...

I have a RPRR and finally got to stretch it out To 273y, there’s a range down this way that has steels at various ranges all the way out. It’s great “calling” targets at various ranges and dialling to hit them 

it was intended as a trainer / 22PRL rifle before everything kicked off. I’ve stuck a golden eagle on it now as 22PRL doesn’t exist in any real way here yet.

Its accurate enough, but it irritates me that it’s not a 1/2MOA rifle like full bore. I’ve bedded it, torqued it, switched the trigger, added a tuner and use sorted ammo, it will do very good groups on occasion but it’s not consistent and is usually around 1-1.5MOA which is acceptable for rimfire, just not my OCD 🤣

JCS, 

I shoot with this group, good fun and definitely a challenge. There is an open have a go session at 300 yards on the 19th March at Bisley, BYOR or rifles available and set up to go.

200 & 300 yards very do-able, 500 becomes ‘interesting’

T