Barnes LRX

Orka Akinse

I've bought a box of their 127g copper bullets to load test in .264.

Considering they are promoted as long range bullets I have to say, the quality of construction is appallingly bad.  The blue ballistic tips are not seated properly and when you look down from above at the loaded rounds in the ammo box, you cannot but notice, nice shiny copper crescents where the BT has been seated off centre, some quite markedly so.  

Has anyone else noticed this?  I know Barnes has been sold to Sierra but I'm surprised at the poor quality of these bullets.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I tried the 129gr LRX in my 270WSM, this is a very accurate but hunting spec rifle with a custom barrel, it shoots both Nosler Accubonds and the Nosler E-Tips into tiny groups.

I really struggled with the LRX and tried many different powder and seating depth combos, most of the time it shot in the 1 to 2 MOA area with the very best group being about 1/2 MOA but this happened right at the very end when I had almost given up and I haven't as yet revisted this combo to see if it is repeatable (which I doubt), funnily enough I was mostly getting very low ES and SD figures but still crap groups.

• 4 weeks later...