You are asking a question that cannot be answered as is.

You would need to be MUCH more explicit about your budget, expectations and a huge  range of other detail to get anything like useful feedback.

Get a .338 Norma Magnum…an inherently more accurate case design.

I have one and it’s been a joy to shoot. Load development with any 250-300gn bullet has been very easy. I shoot a 300gn Scenar at around 2800fps. Can easily hold 0.5MOA out to 1000m if I don’t fluff the wind calls.

I believe the newer flavours of AI can come in .338NM. That would be my choice if looking for an ‘off the shelf’ gun in the calibre.

Otherwise, go custom (I’ve got a Defiance Mutant Tube Gun action in an Eliseo Tube chassis).

These big mags are expensive to run. Double to triple the cost of brass, bullets and powder to something like a 6.5cm, .308w etc per shot.

I use over 94.5gn of RS80 (that equates to loading only 163 rounds per Kilo of powder) , which is why I buy 10kg a time.

A 50round range session is likely to cost in the region of £80-90 just on consumables (not barrel cost) if you’re reloading. 

You've got to ask yourself…will you realistically shoot it that much? Otherwise, it’ll quickly be yet another expensive purchase with low round count that ends up in the For Sale section …like so many others have done in the past.

But they are just plain good fun to shoot…always guaranteed to bring a smile to your face every time you pull the trigger! 👍

30 minutes ago, ontoproofer said:

which 338 Lapua Magnum to buy and how much more do you need to spend to be really accurate ?

As you don't mention budget I'll assume it's not a limiting factor.  As others have said, you may not expect to shoot it much so it's quite an investment for the gun cabinet.  My rig all up is around £6k.

If you are shooting out to ELD distances then forget 250gr bullets,  you need a twist and velocity to stabilise a 300gr.

I spent £3.5k on a custom .338LM, 32" 1:9.5 twist Truflite barrel, Barnard action and trigger,  Dolphin folding stock chassis. Shoots 300gr Lapua and 285ELD-M like a dream out to 2000yds.

You need a good scope  - I have a ffp S&B 3-27 x56.  I don't like too much magnification as it's important to spot fall of shot at ELD distances (unless you have a spotter pal).  A rock-solid mount like a Spuhr is recommended.

Lapua brass, 93gr N570, 285ELD-M - 2850 fps.  1 moa at 1 mile (assuming I do my bit and the wind plays ball too).

PS  you can't shoot the bl0ody things at Bisley ! 

4 minutes ago, Popsbengo said:

As you don't mention budget I'll assume it's not a limiting factor.  As others have said, you may not expect to shoot it much so it's quite an investment for the gun cabinet.  My rig all up is around £6k.

If you are shooting out to ELD distances then forget 250gr bullets,  you need a twist and velocity to stabilise a 300gr.

I spent £3.5k on a custom .338LM, 32" 1:9.5 twist Truflite barrel, Barnard action and trigger,  Dolphin folding stock chassis. Shoots 300gr Lapua and 285ELD-M like a dream out to 2000yds.

You need a good scope  - I have a ffp S&B 3-27 x56.  I don't like too much magnification as it's important to spot fall of shot at ELD distances (unless you have a spotter pal).  A rock-solid mount like a Spuhr is recommended.

Lapua brass, 93gr N570, 285ELD-M - 2850 fps.  1 moa at 1 mile (assuming I do my bit and the wind plays ball too).

PS  you can't shoot the bl0ody things at Bisley ! 

PS.  If it's for around 1000m I'd not bother,  6.5CM etc is much cheaper and a better bet all round.  Your wallet will thank you.

Im in a similar situation, I'd like to shoot out to 2KM at Eskdalemuir, but i also want to stay Bisley legal as its 30 mins down the road for me. I picked .300PRC, got it added to my FAC but now UK rifles seem unobtainable. So im thinking screw Bisley lets get a LM, Cheytec or Barrett! 

2 hours ago, DaveT said:

You are asking a question that cannot be answered as is.

You would need to be MUCH more explicit about your budget, expectations and a huge  range of other detail to get anything like useful feedback.

sorry lol its for trying to hit metal targets at the mile