UKV - The Place for Precision Rifle Enthusiasts

Monitored alarm systems

In Lincolnshire if you have more than 5 rifles / shotguns it’s a requirement to have a monitored alarm , and as again with Lincolnshire if you don’t do it … no ticket. 

this came in about 2 years ago now .  There are 3 tiers of security, They call this one level 2 . 

I'm on level 3.

Daft really as the Police 'target' time to respond is 20 minutes!

Our club alarm went off and they couldn't be bothered to respond at all

11 hours ago, dodgyrog said:

I'm on level 3.

Daft really as the Police 'target' time to respond is 20 minutes!

Our club alarm went off and they couldn't be bothered to respond at all

lol im possibly on level 1

20 minutes is not really a rapid response I could be in 3 other counties in that time

On 11/25/2021 at 6:47 AM, One on top of two said:

In Lincolnshire if you have more than 5 rifles / shotguns it’s a requirement to have a monitored alarm , and as again with Lincolnshire if you don’t do it … no ticket. 

this came in about 2 years ago now .  There are 3 tiers of security, They call this one level 2 . 

Is this more a local force making up its own rules?

The Home Office set the guidance, 43 Police Forces interpret it 43 different ways.

It is always good to reference it when challenging any conditions/ridiculous requirements or trying to negotiate your storage requirements.

1 hour ago, Roy W said:

The Home Office set the guidance, 43 Police Forces interpret it 43 different ways.

It is always good to reference it when challenging any conditions/ridiculous requirements or trying to negotiate your storage requirements.

Maybe that's better than one global interpretation that's an amalgamation of the hardest views on each clause ?

Winners and losers or just losers all around ?  

12 hours ago, Popsbengo said:

Maybe that's better than one global interpretation that's an amalgamation of the hardest views on each clause ?

Winners and losers or just losers all around ?  

Don't get me wrong, a national body would be a catastrophe, centralisation rarely works, it just reduces the staff available and makes the bureaucratic chain longer.

The current system works in many cases, it just needs polishing in others.

Most of the individuals working in the licensing depts don't stay long, they can't be expected to know all the legislation or understand anything about firearms. The roles are low paid and often used as a stepping stone to internal vacancies and progression.

Privatisation isn't the answer either, that would simply be a race to the bottom in terms of cost and quality of service.

1 hour ago, Roy W said:

Don't get me wrong, a national body would be a catastrophe, centralisation rarely works, it just reduces the staff available and makes the bureaucratic chain longer.

The current system works in many cases, it just needs polishing in others.

Most of the individuals working in the licensing depts don't stay long, they can't be expected to know all the legislation or understand anything about firearms. The roles are low paid and often used as a stepping stone to internal vacancies and progression.

Privatisation isn't the answer either, that would simply be a race to the bottom in terms of cost and quality of service.

yes, agreed

Last time I had a visit from the FEO he suggested I should consider an alarm. I said "Yes, I had considered it, but rejected the idea as I thought it might just advertise that I had something worth stealing". I also told him that for the same reason i didn't display shooting association car stickers, or have a number plate such as 'R1FLE'. He was satisfied with my response.

3 hours ago, Geezedtee said:

Last time I had a visit from the FEO he suggested I should consider an alarm. I said "Yes, I had considered it, but rejected the idea as I thought it might just advertise that I had something worth stealing". I also told him that for the same reason i didn't display shooting association car stickers, or have a number plate such as 'R1FLE'. He was satisfied with my response.

It always makes me laugh when somebody drives past with reg number ...GUN and makes me wonder if they get followed a lot 🤔

Just been through this with Durham (useless!)

As Dodgyrog said our club's monitored alarm has gone off twice in the last year, neither time did they send anyone out or even bother to ring the secretary etc. to see what was going on.

I asked for a mod on my club FAC and got a call saying the HO guidance says you have to have an alarm for more than 10 (which it doesn't).

I explained that even if it did say that it specifically states that when adding things up moderators (as well as spare barrels and cylinders) are not to be counted.

FAC came back from being varied without the required slot for the moderator and also missing the empty slot for a 308 to replace one I'd just transferred.

Sent it back again and had to email them again yesterday as they've had it for 26 days.  It only took a week for the original variation (which they got wrong), had a reply saying it was with the decision makers and should be done in the next 2 weeks.

This is a 1 for 1 for exactly the same calibre rifle I already had on it!