Monitored alarm systems

ontoproofer

In Lincolnshire if you have more than 5 rifles / shotguns it’s a requirement to have a monitored alarm , and as again with Lincolnshire if you don’t do it … no ticket. 

this came in about 2 years ago now .  There are 3 tiers of security, They call this one level 2 . 

11 hours ago, dodgyrog said:

I'm on level 3.

Daft really as the Police 'target' time to respond is 20 minutes!

Our club alarm went off and they couldn't be bothered to respond at all

lol im possibly on level 1

20 minutes is not really a rapid response I could be in 3 other counties in that time

On 11/25/2021 at 6:47 AM, One on top of two said:

In Lincolnshire if you have more than 5 rifles / shotguns it’s a requirement to have a monitored alarm , and as again with Lincolnshire if you don’t do it … no ticket. 

this came in about 2 years ago now .  There are 3 tiers of security, They call this one level 2 . 

Is this more a local force making up its own rules?

1 hour ago, Roy W said:

The Home Office set the guidance, 43 Police Forces interpret it 43 different ways.

It is always good to reference it when challenging any conditions/ridiculous requirements or trying to negotiate your storage requirements.

Maybe that's better than one global interpretation that's an amalgamation of the hardest views on each clause ?

Winners and losers or just losers all around ?  

12 hours ago, Popsbengo said:

Maybe that's better than one global interpretation that's an amalgamation of the hardest views on each clause ?

Winners and losers or just losers all around ?  

Don't get me wrong, a national body would be a catastrophe, centralisation rarely works, it just reduces the staff available and makes the bureaucratic chain longer.

The current system works in many cases, it just needs polishing in others.

Most of the individuals working in the licensing depts don't stay long, they can't be expected to know all the legislation or understand anything about firearms. The roles are low paid and often used as a stepping stone to internal vacancies and progression.

Privatisation isn't the answer either, that would simply be a race to the bottom in terms of cost and quality of service.

1 hour ago, Roy W said:

Don't get me wrong, a national body would be a catastrophe, centralisation rarely works, it just reduces the staff available and makes the bureaucratic chain longer.

The current system works in many cases, it just needs polishing in others.

Most of the individuals working in the licensing depts don't stay long, they can't be expected to know all the legislation or understand anything about firearms. The roles are low paid and often used as a stepping stone to internal vacancies and progression.

Privatisation isn't the answer either, that would simply be a race to the bottom in terms of cost and quality of service.

yes, agreed

Last time I had a visit from the FEO he suggested I should consider an alarm. I said "Yes, I had considered it, but rejected the idea as I thought it might just advertise that I had something worth stealing". I also told him that for the same reason i didn't display shooting association car stickers, or have a number plate such as 'R1FLE'. He was satisfied with my response.

Even worse if it includes a phone with a realtime link to a camera so you can actually watch your place being ransacked while you're 200mls away............

Pete

3 hours ago, Geezedtee said:

Last time I had a visit from the FEO he suggested I should consider an alarm. I said "Yes, I had considered it, but rejected the idea as I thought it might just advertise that I had something worth stealing". I also told him that for the same reason i didn't display shooting association car stickers, or have a number plate such as 'R1FLE'. He was satisfied with my response.

It always makes me laugh when somebody drives past with reg number ...GUN and makes me wonder if they get followed a lot 🤔

Just been through this with Durham (useless!)

As Dodgyrog said our club's monitored alarm has gone off twice in the last year, neither time did they send anyone out or even bother to ring the secretary etc. to see what was going on.

I asked for a mod on my club FAC and got a call saying the HO guidance says you have to have an alarm for more than 10 (which it doesn't).

I explained that even if it did say that it specifically states that when adding things up moderators (as well as spare barrels and cylinders) are not to be counted.

FAC came back from being varied without the required slot for the moderator and also missing the empty slot for a 308 to replace one I'd just transferred.

Sent it back again and had to email them again yesterday as they've had it for 26 days.  It only took a week for the original variation (which they got wrong), had a reply saying it was with the decision makers and should be done in the next 2 weeks.

This is a 1 for 1 for exactly the same calibre rifle I already had on it!

• 2 weeks later...

I always had it in my head that if you pay for a Police Response package, that is what you got if your alarm goes off. Seeking clarification here as I was looking at ADT Police Response following a certain data leak, but from what I can see from the ADT site - they call you, if they can't reach you they call your registered contacts, whoever picks up first goes to the house to meet the Police but if they can't reach anyone they call the Police anyway. I read from another provider that if you aren't there and a registered contact picks up instead, that they won't phone the Police but rather the keyholder/contact needs to attend and then call the Police themselves, which seems pointless compared to what ADT offers.

I currently have a £150 Yale alarm that calls me when triggered and I also installed a hardwired IP camera that sends push notifications and an email with pictures and video when triggered (because if they actually get in and steal the camera and/or PC running it, then all the evidence is gone). When I'm away, I have alerts on max volume etc. and if it is triggered, I call the Police myself and tell them there are firearms at the address. It actually caught someone trying to get into my shed a few months back at 0230 and called the Police but was told that as they couldn't get in and left the property in the time I watched it unfolding on the phone, nobody would attend as it was just trespassing.

Genuine question to anyone who has a monitored alarm - is what I currently have comparable to the service you get with the ADT, with me acting as the call centre, or are there other guarantees in your contract/the service they provide? I would consider a professionally monitored alarm but whenever I research it, the stories I see on forums like these put me off. I assume the only guarantee being that ADT will call the Police if I don't respond, whereas currently it relies on me waking up/seeing the notification?

I appreciate folk are considering these police packages but that is not a deal you have with the police but infact a private company who will call on your behalf. 

Why not just buy a cheap alarm that alerts you and you call the police saving yourself time and money. 

Too be honest the cops are not turning up anytime soon now so why pay a premium 

Ive noticed a lot of the new alarm systems aren't hardwired and it makes you wonder if they knock out the bt cable the wifi alarm system is useless, nobody pays any attention to an alarm going off. If the police can't be bothered to turn up monitored alarms are a waste of money and verisure alarms send there own security staff if the alarm is triggered but you can see them driving straight past if they saw firearms coming out of the property

I just got an alarm fitted by a local company, paid extra for the GPRS modem, so it's not dependant on WiFi.

Alerts me, the Mrs and the neighbours by SMS if it goes off.  I can let the neighbours in remotely with an electronic front door lock.  

Lock cost me about £180, alarm was £1k fitted with both internal and perimeter sensors (we have cats).

FEO seemed happy, no request for central monitoring, though that is available for an extra couple of hundred a year and if it was an issue, I would pay it.

Also a separate Ring doorbell.

Oddly, what he seemed happiest about is the cabinet is inside a built in locked wardrobe, that seemed to count for more than the alarm.

5 hours ago, nCognitos said:

Oddly, what he seemed happiest about is the cabinet is inside a built in locked wardrobe, that seemed to count for more than the alarm.

maybe they know a thing or two about the likely scum that break in?  It'll most probably be beyond the average scum to break into a well fitted gun cabinet.  Alarms are icing on the cake,  a solidly mounted BS standard cabinet is the main thing.

• 1 year later...

Just stumbled upon this thread and saw that it's a couple of years old, but thought I'd drop my two cents in anyway. In my opinion, investing in a monitored alarm system is definitely worth it for extra firearm security. You can never be too careful when it comes to protecting yourself and your valuables, especially in today's crazy world. I've personally used https://ohholding.org/ monitored alarm system for my home in Ukraine and it's been a game-changer. The peace of mind that comes with knowing that your home is being monitored 24/7 is priceless. Plus, their system is super easy to use and they have great customer service if you ever need help.