Supplier options?

Towsey

Hi all

Need some advice please, I’m on the hunt for a few bits for cleaning a howa 204 mini action, and howa 6.5cm. Looking for the usual stuff like guide, rod, jag, brush, patches and a product or products I can use in the house for carbon/copper without the missus evicting me but I don’t know what’s best or what to avoid and where to get it all

While we’re on, what do you use and what’s your usual routine, these are for vermin/stalking and not target if that helps

thanks in advance

towsey 

3 hours ago, Towsey said:

Hi all

Need some advice please, I’m on the hunt for a few bits for cleaning a howa 204 mini action, and howa 6.5cm. Looking for the usual stuff like guide, rod, jag, brush, patches and a product or products I can use in the house for carbon/copper without the missus evicting me but I don’t know what’s best or what to avoid and where to get it all

While we’re on, what do you use and what’s your usual routine, these are for vermin/stalking and not target if that helps

thanks in advance

towsey 

6.5cm ?   Is that good for Yorkshire elephant?  Must use a ton of powder.

😉

I use Proshot rods and jags but other makes are good,  get a decent bore guide.  I find nylon brushes more than adequate to get the crap out but whatever product you choose do let it have time to do it's chemical magic before patching it out.

I use Wipeout Tactical Advantage, it's great for carbon and copper fouling.  It doesn't smell too bad but do avoid getting it on the kitchen table 🙂

There's quite a few on-line places to shop - a quick Google of the particular products will suffice.

Hopefully il see soon 🤣 only be roe really though. 

Thanks for that, I have a coated Parker hale rod for 17 but was thinking of pro shot anyway. What are the better quality universal guides like, I havnt seen a howa one yet? So do you just use tactical advantage then, nothing before or after? 

Cheers 

26 minutes ago, Towsey said:

Hopefully il see soon 🤣 only be roe really though. 

Thanks for that, I have a coated Parker hale rod for 17 but was thinking of pro shot anyway. What are the better quality universal guides like, I havnt seen a howa one yet? So do you just use tactical advantage then, nothing before or after? 

Cheers 

The Proshot one works ok but I have made bespoke guides for my guns.

I push a TA wetted patch through to take the loose stuff out, then a scrub with the nylon brush well wetted with TA,  leave to stand for 15mins,  patch out with dry patches.  Check and repeat if necessary.  Once in a blue moon I will use a specific copper fouling remover like KG12 or Butch's and then a polish with KG2 or similar.  I have found that a perfectly clean and polished bore (on my .308) shoots very well without the need for fouling shots.  If I'm storing for a few weeks I push an oiled patch and a dry patch to leave a thin film.  I then patch that dry before shooting.