Loading advice for rifle

Happy plinker

Sorry, I keep forgetting not everyone wants to reload!

As stated by RobinC and seconded by Popsbengo, buy some preloaded commercial/MIL-Surp ammo that is known to work well in 1:7"-1:8" twist firearms. Try this ammo and if the groups are still pants, then the problem may be down to a sow's ear of a gun unfortunately.

Can't help you with ammo selection as I don't have any firearms in 223 Remington, mine are mostly chambered for odd-ball calibres.

My experience is mainly with 308 rather than 223, but I have found that the cheaper factory offerings from the likes of Remington, Federal, PPU and Magtech do not shoot very well. I would be very unsurprised if it is the same in 223. The factory brands that do seem to shoot well are GGG (especially the loads that use the Sierra bullet) and SM Chemnitzer (previously known as MEN). I expect that the likes of Lapua and Norma are also both good, but I have personally never seen any for sale.

As for your rifle, Baldie has written a number of interesting posts on here about the lack of accuracy that can be expected with AR15s that use bolted-in milsurp barrels with inappropriate chambers and poorly headspaced barrel extensions. If the accuracy is still poor with quality ammo, then that’s the direction that you should probably look next.

7 minutes ago, Happy plinker said:

I dont believe the rifle is at fault. I think its the snidey ammunition as its the only brand tried so far. I'll need to invest in more expensive factory ammunition but ultimately its going to be hand loading 

What you have is a example of one. Not at all useful really to figure the trouble. It may take a few brands or as you say handloading, and that may not solve the problem. Before buy the supplies I would try at least 3 other brands of factory ammo. 

3 minutes ago, KABOOM said:

What you have is a example of one. Not at all useful really to figure the trouble. It may take a few brands or as you say handloading, and that may not solve the problem. Before buy the supplies I would try at least 3 other brands of factory ammo. 

Definitely I'll make efforts to pick up various brands and weights, sadly that's a challenge in it self due to lack of retailers