Long barrelled pistols

Can any body tell me if it’s ok to use LBP’s on military ranges run by Landmark??

getting mixed messages!

my boss is a member of Lydd and they do, my club official’s say you can’t !!

confusued !

1 hour ago, newsatten said:

Can any body tell me if it’s ok to use LBP’s on military ranges run by Landmark??

getting mixed messages!

confusued !

I have copies of range orders for Kingsbury & Whittington, they don't mention the type of weapons only the calibre, MV and ME.   By the way, Landmarc are a contractor and follow the rules laid down by DIO and the Training Officer for the region.   There is a 9mm calibre limit, strictly imposed (allegedly) so no .44 or .45 guns.

More confusuion!

we regularly use 338's   416's 45-70 45,44,357 blah blah.....................  Lydd do the same?          a Calibre limit is never mentioned ?  just the HME limit, and MV's over 3200, so no HMR's or 22-250's and such.......................      seems as ever its a lottery 

According to my boss Lydd members use Cap And ball stuff to!   Maybe  its different down here, Hythe also has a Clay Pigeon layout and target Shotgun!    some what larger than 30cal!

The simple answer is to read the Range Orders,  they are non-negotiable.  Your RCOs are responsible for organising and running the range,  surely they can advise on what's allowed.  Your RCOs must be aware of range orders to be able to sign the 906 Range Log.

• 1 month later...
On 11/10/2021 at 11:04 AM, Dellboy said:

Surely a long barel pistol doesnt really exist  technically

There seem to be lots of odd rules attached to them - like fifty cal, only the person the serial number is attached to is allowed shoot them I believe. I understand that this has upset clubs as they cannot let newbies try them, even under close supervision, to see if they're for them. How can you know if you like them and get on with them to decide if you want one and thereby have a 'reason' to 'need' one? I'm buggered if I am going to spend a big bag o money for a variation and gun on the basis I 'might' like it.  That's probably the answer 🤣

2 hours ago, Ralpharama said:

There seem to be lots of odd rules attached to them - like fifty cal, only the person the serial number is attached to is allowed shoot them I believe. I understand that this has upset clubs as they cannot let newbies try them, even under close supervision, to see if they're for them. How can you know if you like them and get on with them to decide if you want one and thereby have a 'reason' to 'need' one? I'm buggered if I am going to spend a big bag o money for a variation and gun on the basis I 'might' like it.  That's probably the answer 🤣

Ralph, you are correct, only the FAC named holder can have possession (apart from an RFD).  I don't know about being upset but, as you say, clubs cannot be authorised to have them as club firearms however members may use them on suitable club ranges.  It's an offence to have possession even when supervised by the lawful owner.  It seems that the only way to try, is to get approval and buy one!

A muzzle-loading revolver is a fine alternative. I have a Roger & Spencer replica which is fun ( I also had a Westlake Alpha but grew to hate it with a passion, but easily sold on).

On 11/9/2021 at 6:36 PM, newsatten said:

getting mixed messages!

confusued !

This extract from a DIO License may help:

"...DIO SD Training as per the Schedule on page 7 of this document for the purpose of firing the following types of weapon and ammunition and no other as authorised on the Range Authorisation Certificate (904) for the range in use on the days and between the hours on those days specified in the Schedule attached hereto...."

It depends on the 904 schedule.   Your club will (should) have the schedule and the appropriate license

Having been a pistol shooter from 80' till the ban, ive not bothered with such odd ball types of firearms,  i never touched coal burners then and would'nt now!

im only thinking of a Long 44 now, just thought it may add a bit of fun at 100 yards,  plus they are cheap to feed,     if its going to be a mission, sod it,   but one can ask!    

ive just had the new brief for Lydd early next month, good grief what a drama!         im committed now so will attend, but cant help but think this may well be a one off!

As the main reason for shooting there was one could use HME stuff with little or no drama, that's not the case  now!    so i'l just see how it goes, 

1 hour ago, newsatten said:

Montana , we cant have Rosco's but we can still just about have these!

My 71' RT

IMG_0137 (2).jpg

loverly,  how many gallons to the mile?  😁

😚 used to be Smiles to the gallon !

alas living here in Kent that’s no longer true, 

housing developments all around me have brought in thousands of people and cars so the roads are rammed 90%
of the year ,

both my local Clay shoots have now gone due to this ,

old cars and modern fuel don’t really mix so being stuck in jams is no fun at all !

such a shame , used to be nice here 

Ces’t la vie 

My passion is classic bikes and the alcohol being added to the petrol is causing havoc with classic vehicles. Because it's hygroscopic it effectively sucks water into the fuel which rots the insides of fuel systems. It's all green washing for political gain and has no real valid environmental value. As for the insane building ... don't get me started! We haven't got enough bloody agricultural land to feed the population we have already without building yet more housing on green belt and growing fuel crops rather than food on prime agricultural land!

At least on a bike I don't get stuck in traffic jams :)  

The-Beast-at-Chew-Valley-Lake.jpg

Nice machine….had a nice Honda CBR 1000 up until a few months ago doesn’t really suit me as I gain years….Only old bike I have now is 1960 series 3 Lambretta that I have had fitted with an electric start….

3 minutes ago, gazzarM1 said:

Nice machine….had a nice Honda CBR 1000 up until a few months ago doesn’t really suit me as I gain years….Only old bike I have now is 1960 series 3 Lambretta that I have had fitted with an electric start….

I have quite a few old Kawasakis. Love 'em to bits. The one above will probably be the first to be beyond my physically as I get older, but it is also the most comfortable for long distance. I only have one that has to be kick started - '81 DT175. I confess I don't know how these old boys manage with their old Brit 500 singles ! 

Agreed I never considered when I was restoring my lammy that I would need an electric boot to start her as well as not being strong enough to haul a 500lb plus super bike all over the place …the joys of getting older

Lordy don’t you just love these threads!

I also love bikes , did seriously consider getting another, but alas like the Roads I’m not getting any younger, plus had a total knee replacement back in March,

I can walk ok but I’d never be able to half have a chance holding even a lightweight bike up now !

as you say son “ the joys of getting old ! “ lol