Recently at Bisley I noticed that quite a few shooters of the T/R variety were down on the firing point with bare legs and feet.  I also notice this in the latest NRA journal.  Is this perceived to be some sort of "aid" to shooting or just an unfortunate fashion statement?  Does a chilled toe reliably sense changes in wind velocity? 

I should get out more but it's raining and cold.

When it's 30 degrees and they are in an open field, they are mostly wearings shorts and T shirts, until they don their jacket to shoot. 

The last few years CSR Championships have been sweltering, so anything that helps cool you has to be of benefit.

Not sure about bare feet though, imagine getting sunburnt on the soles of your feet! Ouch! 

1 hour ago, furrybean said:

When its hot and youre wearing thick leather Im guessing its to keep them cooler

That is very true and logical.  The day I noticed the partial public nakedness was quite cool,  even a leather T/L bondage jacket isn't that warm  (you may be able to tell I'm one of those oiks that shoots from a bipod 😁).

56 minutes ago, Roy W said:

....Not sure about bare feet though, imagine getting sunburnt on the soles of your feet! Ouch! 

Yep,  feet burn pretty quick,  very uncomfortable

10 hours ago, Popsbengo said:

a few shooters of the T/R variety

To quote James Fenimore Cooper: “they are a breed apart and make no sense“....... 😀

2 minutes ago, SMLE said:

To quote James Fenimore Cooper: “they are a breed apart and make no sense“....... 😀

😁

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Strangely Brown said:

The answer is actually quite simple; when you see a bended leg in the air the shooter is simply reading the wind; bare feet also do the same thing but shorts are better giving more exposed skin.

Ever wondered why you only see some people from April to July? 

Ah-Ha !   I suspected there was a reason.  These T/R types have strange rituals indeed.

Better not try that at Eskdalemuir in the winter,  the immediate frostbite and loss of toes would put a crimp in one's day 😁

3 hours ago, Popsbengo said:

Ah-Ha !   I suspected there was a reason.  These T/R types have strange rituals indeed.

Better not try that at Eskdalemuir in the winter,  the immediate frostbite and loss of toes would put a crimp in one's day 😁

H'mm I'll take the quad out to put out more target positions, 30 seconds later, nope, I'll lurk in the warm and do networking stuff.

IMG_20200805_131746.jpg

Having shot for qualification from the equator in Guyana South America, , Cuba, and California to Canada in winter, Never  have fired a shot in shorts or bare feet. Uniform of the day to include thermal gear and wet weather clothes. I am just not tough enough for frozen toes or sunburned feet. 🙂

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
On 10/22/2021 at 12:20 PM, Popsbengo said:

Recently at Bisley I noticed that quite a few shooters of the T/R variety were down on the firing point with bare legs and feet.  I also notice this in the latest NRA journal.  Is this perceived to be some sort of "aid" to shooting or just an unfortunate fashion statement?  Does a chilled toe reliably sense changes in wind velocity? 

I should get out more but it's raining and cold.

...they must be postmen?