Hi guys

Creedmoor kid

Hi everyone I have just stumbled upon the site and I am new to target shooting, i have been reloading shotgun shells for a number of years and I have recently got my first 6.5 creedmoor and keen to reload my brass I basically need to buy everything so …… is there and presses and brands that are better than others? Brands to stay away from etc 

any advice will be greatly appreciated 

Have a look at eBay - usually good kit comes up and it'll save you a shed load.   An RCBS Rockchucker is a good 'standard' press.  Lee dies are cheap and can give reasonable results, Hornady dies are good, Redding better.  I personally don't like RCBS dies, seem too expensive for the quality offered.

I have Lyman prep tools as the quality vs price seems good.  I wouldn't knock alternatives.

I can't speak highly enough for the RCBS bench mounted priming tool, bags of feel and easy to use. A bit expensive but they come up on eBay occasionally.  I've read (on this forum) that the Lee bench tool is also pretty good.

I'd advise against any "all in one box" kits, you'll end up with stuff you won't use and compromised items that you'll end up replacing when the bug bites.

You can waste money on Gucci shiny things, a funnel from Lee or Lyman is just as good as a funnel made from anodised unobtainium.

A good beam-balance is excellent however the trend seems to be towards quality lab scales - avoid the small and cheap digital scales if you expect quality results. Check it weighs in grains as a great deal of reloading data is in grains not grams.

Don't forget measuring equipment, you will want to ensure consistent assembly.  You certainly don't need to waste money on reloading company branded items - a good Chinese digital vernier is every bit as good as RCBS/Lyman etc etc.  Of course there's better kit in terms of robustness - Mitutoyo or Starret etc but not really necessary.  Hornady and Sinclair gauges are good.  I like the Sinclair inserts as they're steel not aluminium and fit the Hornady gauge heads perfectly.

As in most of life, you get what you pay for.  However, prudent shopping around and mix n match worked for me.  I bought the best seating dies (LE Wilson) in my opinion, and a coax press (Sinclair) for bullet seating, I get near perfect run-out and exact seating depth every time.  For F/L sizing either LE Wilson or Redding for me.  I use RCBS in .44 and 45/70 - a bit crap in terms of finish but I'm not overly bothered for plinking ammo.

Way to go powder funnel kit..........

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lyman-Precision-Powder-Funnel-Inserts/dp/B079ZQWM1T

Pete