Sako quad 22lr misfire issue

n8ess

My Sako quad is intermittently firing and not striking the case. I have only noticed this recently when entering a 30 round competition at our club. When I reload the rounds, they fire ok so l assume it is not an ammo issue. The rifle has done in excess of 4000 rounds but hasn’t missed a beat until recently. Just wondered if anyone has had a similar issue, any help would be appreciated.

n8ess

Don't have any experience with the Quad but sounds like the firing pin spring needs changing.   Also could try cleaning out the bolt if you haven't already, in case there is a build up of dirt or old oil which could be slowing the firing pin down.

7 hours ago, n8ess said:

My Sako quad is intermittently firing and not striking the case. I have only noticed this recently when entering a 30 round competition at our club. When I reload the rounds, they fire ok so l assume it is not an ammo issue. The rifle has done in excess of 4000 rounds but hasn’t missed a beat until recently. Just wondered if anyone has had a similar issue, any help would be appreciated.

n8ess

I have same issue so interested in replies as well. I only have to lift bolt and they will fire second attempt. I thought it was something i had done fitting after market trigger and mostly with .17hmr that could be to blame. Suspected barrel not seated far enough in but not got round to checking and unlikely. More likely wear and tear - time for clean, overhaul and tlc.

Hi there 

Sometimes I have same issues with my anschutz 22lr but never with the 17hmr . So I would say it’s a waxy problem on my rifle as a good clean of the bolt and also bolt face , and clean out the wax from chamber and ejector grooves works wonders. I have some o ring remover tools that work well but an unbent paper clip is just as good. Solvent or meths to remove the last bit of wax and a light lube of bolt and firing pin . Cheers 

Show us a photo of a misfired case - The collective mind might deduce a light strike or mis-shaped firing pin. I've no experience with the Quad but do have a P94S Finnfire, the bolts look the same and I had the same problem a couple of years ago. I looked in to getting a new spring, they are available and come complete with a firing pin, however I machined a short spacer to preload the existing spring and been working perfectly since.

I also made a tool to aid the bolt disassembly and de-cocking/re-cocking.

NprdFrHm.jpg

eIPT1irm.jpg